Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will Siri get faster?

I notice that Siri will take awhile at times to process your request. Even on simple 'calls'. For instance, I said "call Joe Panos", Siri will process for about 30 seconds, then call. The next time it may be faster after it knows the name? Does Siri learn so it can get faster?

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 2:26 PM

5 replies

Oct 10, 2012 2:31 PM in response to TechFrenzy

Yes, Siri learns and will improve both in speed and in correctly recognizing what you ask as long as you don't turn Siri off (in the Settings) which deletes the caches from Apple's servers. From the Siri FAQ:

Does Siri work out of the box, or do I have to teach it?

Siri works right out of the box, without any work on your part. And the more you use Siri, the better it will understand you. It does this by learning about your accent and other characteristics of your voice. Siri uses voice recognition algorithms to categorize your voice into one of the dialects or accents it understands. As more people use Siri and it’s exposed to more variations of a language, its overall recognition of dialects and accents will continue to improve, and Siri will work even better.

Siri also uses information from your contacts, music library, calendars, and reminders to better understand what you say. So it responds more accurately when you ask to make a phone call, play music, or create an appointment or reminder.

If you like, you can reset what Siri has learned about your voice by turning Siri off and then back on in Settings > General > Siri.

Regards.

Oct 10, 2012 3:22 PM in response to varjak paw

Thanks for the responses. Although Siri's response time depends on network speed, I think certain commands such as 'call' , should override and go directly to your contacts, thus giving you fast response. What's the point of me asking to call if it takes longer than doing it manually. Some calls take longer than others at times and that is because of the network speed. There should be a direct override for call command

Oct 11, 2012 7:06 AM in response to TechFrenzy

Apple's servers do all the processing of voice recognition - to the best of my knowledge, none at all is performed on the iPhone itself - so network connection spped will always been involved. That's why Siri doesn't work in absence of an Internet connection. Only if voice recognization was processed on the iPhone itself would instant response be possible, and that's not likely to happen anytime in the near future; it would just require more processing power that the iPhone has, or at least can spare from other functions.

Regards.

Will Siri get faster?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.