Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printer is no longer recognized.

After years of effortless wireless printing, I can no longer print. The System Preference settings are fine, specifying the printer as HP psc 1300 series. Mountain Lion tells me only that "PRINT SERVICE IS NOT AVAILABLE!" or "The printer is not connected."

The Console says:

10/10/12 5:26:13.575 PM TextEdit[4251]: Printing from application: com.apple.TextEdit, to printer: Generic PostScript Printer, with the simple dialog.

com.apple.message.domain: com.apple.printing.printdialog.printdialogtype

com.apple.message.result: success

com.apple.message.signature: Simple dialog

com.apple.message.signature2: com.apple.TextEdit

com.apple.message.signature3: Generic PostScript Printer

I have tried everything except purchase a new printer. Is that what I have to do?

Many thanks for your thoughts.....

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion, iPad, iPhone 3Gs ( 5.1.1)

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 3:36 PM

9 replies

Oct 10, 2012 4:31 PM in response to drdocument

in addition to "drdocument" post, before you do anything allow me to ask you to unplug your printer wait 30 seconds and then power it back on then recycle (restart your mac) assuming you are wireless...I have had this scenario "printer not connected" occur from time to time when I am working in different partions (window then flip to mac and then back to mac) and magically i was able to print.

also, do a permission replair (applications - utilities - disk utility - click on mac hard drive - verify disk permissions - verify disk and then repair disk permission)

this is for safety only.

but some additional info may be helpfull especially the ML before and after install

if only one application cant print or all applications

did you unplug your printer and recycle your mac

did you check for a driver update or see if your printer is supported (relating back to the first point)

to me it seems that your printer is supported (please double check me) do the printer and computer on and off and try to print... if that doesnt work....down load the driver....install it....recycle the printer and computer again for safety and try to print.

my only concern would be if the printer cannot be detected on wifi and you delete the printer and attempt to install it and it cant be found..... also, im sure you have not replace your router.

Printer is no longer recognized.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.