Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't add m4r files to itunes.

I tried adding several ways - drag and drop; import; copying file to itunes folders, including auto add folder; etc. Nothing works. It shows a plus sign and acts like it's about to add it, but it doesn't show up. I can play the file, just can't add it. I shortened it to 29 seconds. I tried editing the info to fill in the artist etc, but I am unable to access those fields. I can see them, just can't type in them. I tried adding someone elses m4r file and it did the same thing. How do I get this to work?

Thanks.

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 5:16 PM

25 replies

Feb 28, 2017 10:03 AM in response to mavabene

I've had the same problem: perfectly good tone files that the Mac refuses to import into iTunes. I created one tone and installed it w/o trouble, then repeated exactly the same process for a second tone, and suddenly it wouldn't work. Both original songs were ripped from old CDs years ago, on a different iMac, so differences in the source files are unlikely to be the culprits.

Easiest way to get a stubborn .m4r file onto your phone is to drop it into the "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder (located in your Music/iTunes/iTunes Media folder.) iTunes will take care of everything. Sync the phone, and the ringtone will be there.

If this fails, there's probably something wrong with the file itself. Be sure it's AAC format prior to changing the file extension to m4r. Do a "Get Info" on it, make sure it's Kind is "ringtone". Size should be about 1.2MB (for a 30-sec tone.)

Oct 8, 2017 10:00 PM in response to mavabene

I personally found, that as suggested above create the m4a file, and then dragging it onto your desktop and then double clicking did not work for me. what did however, was putting iTunes into small window mode, and then opening the phone sync options. click on tones (your ringtone wont be there yet). then I dragged the m4r file from my desktop to Tones under "on my device". then and only then was the file acknowledged, processed and added. for others this might now work, just as for you, if your here, the regular methods did not work.

Jun 13, 2013 2:27 PM in response to somegirl74

Yes! This suggestion worked! 😀
For some reasons Apple automatically create Duplicate files under your Itunes Folder. I'll list the steps to find your "TRUE" m4r files (check that under Get Info, your File's "Kind" should be "Ringtone" and not "Apple MPEG-4 Audio" when you first change the extension to .m4r)

Assuming you did all the above and located the .m4a file.

1) change the m4a file to m4r as suggested (rename to whatever you like but change the ext to .m4r).

2) Double click the changed m4r file.

3) iTunes will start playing your file (this means it's correct)

4) Locate your iTunes default music folder --> usually in your Default "MUSIC" folder

5) Navigate to "iTunes Media"

6) Navigate to "Tones" (notice your TRUE m4r files added here by iTunes automatically) these TRUE m4r files will now have their "Kind" info as "Ringtone".

7) Drag these files into your Ringtone Sidebar in your iTunes program and VOILA!

8) Don't forget to SYNC your iphone to iTunes under "Tones" tab above.... and wait for the magic.

Thank you somegirl74 for your extended tips 😍

Jun 13, 2013 4:03 PM in response to Ox Cx

Oops sorry! It's actually rather complicated... got the steps above from number 3 wrong.
Restart >>

Full correct steps should be like this :

• 1) Select a favourite song in iTunes to be made into Ringtone.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----
  • 2) Get Info on that song and make any 0:30 seconds portion of that song.
    (specify Start & Stop time to 30-seconds long and click OK)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----
  • 3) Right-click or Ctrl-Click again on same song and select "Create AAC Version"
    (when done iTunes will create a Chime)
  • 4) to locate the created m4a file easily, Ctrl-Click again on same song and select "Show in Finder"
    (iTunes will automatically point the location of the original mp3 & the newly created m4a files)

• 5) change the m4a file to m4r as suggested...
    (rename to whatever you like but must change the extension to .m4r)
  • 6) At this point, the m4r(original) file isn't a "Ringtone" file yet... which we'll need to change now)
    (check under "Get Info" – "Kind" : it's still "Apple MPEG-4 Audio")
    1st by dragging that newly changed m4r(original) file to somewhere out of that same default folder it was created by iTunes...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----{ this is where most confusions occur, take note here, it gets rather complicated }
  • 7) Once it's outside of that folder, Double Click the m4r(original) file and iTunes will play
    (u can stop it immediately...) this is just to let iTunes automatically convert that m4r(ori) file into a new duplicate and places it inside the initial default folder where the original mp3 file is kept.
  • 8) Locate that duplicate m4r(new & true) file, in the same mp3 folder and now DUPLICATE-Drag (press Option while dragging to get the "+" sign) it to the "TONES" folder in your default apple folder structure. (check that under Get Info, your new m4r File's "Kind" should be "Ringtone")
    //to get to that "TONES" Folder : First Locate your iTunes default music folder --> usually in your Default "MUSIC" folder --> Navigate to "iTunes Media" --> Navigate to "Tones".
    Keep this window open to make the transfer manually.

• 9) Once your duplicate is inside the "Tones" folder, double-click on that duplicate m4r(true) file and let iTunes play, it should automatically place that bloodycomplicated file into the "Ringtone" sidebar List in iTunes program (check program to see) 😁
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --
  • 10) There you go. Now you can Sync / Delete / Add the whole Ringtone contents to your iPhone as you wish. //Don't forget to set SYNC on the iphone to iTunes under "Tones" tab in your iTunes - iPhone screen... and click SYNC button & wait for the magic.

( Finally you can check inside your iPhone "Sounds" settings and hopefully if all steps done correctly, the bloodycomplicatedringtone selection will be there. Enjoy! 😎

I can't add m4r files to itunes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.