Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google Talk's SMS capabilities on Messages?

Okay, so earlier today I was at school organizing my contacts on gmail. I was SMS messaging back and forth with a couple of friends because Gmail allows you to send SMS messages. It has always been a hope of mine to be able to send SMS messages from Mountain Lion's messages because I like the idea of having everything in one place. I wish I could use Gmail's SMS messaging capabilities in Mountain Lion's Messages. Well, when I got home I noticed that one of my friend's messages had gotten through to Mountain Lion's messages. Her name showed up as ++herphonenumber@sms.google.com. That wasnt exact, but it was something along those lines. Well, I tried to message back to see if I could finally text from Mountain Lion, and it didnt work. Sorry for the long question, but it felt as if my experience might better help answering it. Anyways, is it possible to use Gmail's SMS cababilities to send messages in Mountain Lion's Messages? 🙂

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 5:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 8:47 PM

why not text using messages usng the format +11231234567 you can store the num in the aim field in the addressbook. I text all the time to people and I have icloud set up and their name set up as a google talk acount.

7 replies

Oct 10, 2012 9:24 PM in response to Datapenguin

Open Messages (i am presuming you are using a desktop or laptop and not an ios device). When you initially want to send a message you start by pressing the compose button then typing the persons name or phone number. It is pulling the information from your address book. The aim field is located in the address book. It stands for America online's AIM.

User uploaded file

Oct 10, 2012 9:39 PM in response to Carlo TD

Thank you so much for helping me. Really appreciate it. And yes I am using my macbook pro. I tried typing in the format you mentioned the +12813456798 in the AIM User Name field, but when I go into messages and type in the person's name to message them, the name goes red. Does the perosn have to have an AIM account for this to work? Thank you again by the way.

Oct 11, 2012 2:01 AM in response to Datapenguin

if you select the number while it is red there is a little drop arrow that shows aim, yahoo, google talk...if you choose google talk it seem to work. Perhaps it needs to be saved in the address book under Google talk in the format above. I just sent the word testing ... and it loos like it went through but i am not sure. I dont have a cellphone i could test it on this early in the morning with.

User uploaded file

Google Talk's SMS capabilities on Messages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.