3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 11, 2012 2:25 AM by Mark23
Robert Martinez Level 1 (85 points)

Hi,

I am looking for documentation to set up a Time Capsule to back up my Mountain Lion Server. It seems like you can only use one or the other for file sharing or storage. The Time Capsule is set up to handle VPN and all the other services work perfectly, I have no access to the internal hard drive of the Time Capsule. I'm thinking I should have just purchased an Airport Extreme.

Thanks in advance.

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)
  • Mark23 Level 3 (975 points)

You can use both File Sharing and the Time Machine functionality at the same time.

• Robert Martinez Level 1 (85 points)

Thanks for responding Mark. How would I go about doing this? How do I set up the port mapping on the Time Capsule so that it doesn't interfere with VPN and serving files on my local and romote access share points/network?

There really is no clear documentaion.

• Mark23 Level 3 (975 points)

The port mapping you can set up using the already installed Airport Utility from the Utilities folder (/Applications/Utilities/Airport Utility.app).

I see what problem you are facing regarding the sharing of files and indeed the quickest solution would be to purchase a new Airport Extreme and use that as the boundary between your LAN and the internet (WAN).

You can also let users use VPN to connect to your local network, this actually is much safer then exposing any form of file sharing to the internet.