Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Outgoing mail server is smtp.me.com:... (offline). How can I start sending email again?

My late-year 2008 MacBookPro is operating on iOS 10.6.8 and my iPhone 4S is iOS 5. I've recently lost the ability to send email through Mailbox. I can receive email but cannot send it.

Outgoing mail server is smtp.me.com:... (offline). Is there anything I can do to start sending email again without upgrading to Mountain Lion and IOS 6? I'm on HughesNet satellite and huge download files are practically impossible to do.

THX

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 11, 2012 4:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2012 8:58 AM

Smtp.me.com is a Mobile Me server, and that service closed.

Here are the correct server settings for iCloud.

9 replies

Oct 12, 2012 12:04 PM in response to dawn s

dawn s wrote:

I think I clicked "This solved my question" too quickly! Apparently this did not solve my problem...

It worked yesterday after I created the new account and I was thrilled. But this morning, it's back to having the same problem ` smtp.me.com:... (offline) Any suggestions??

Still the wrong server, do you know how to manually enter the account?

Oct 12, 2012 3:19 PM in response to dawn s

OK, now I'm really miffed... 😕

I deleted the newly created account from yesterday and created another new one with all the correct settings. I was able to send 3 of the email in my Outbox, but when I went to send a 4th email a few minutes later, I ran into the same problem saying that my server was "offline."

This is so frustrating. I've been an Apple fan for many years, but I'm not too happy with the forced move to iCloud...

Any more suggestions? Thanks for all your help CSound1.

Oct 19, 2012 6:37 PM in response to Csound1

Sorry it took so long to get back with you but someone was pirating our satellite and we had to shut it down and get a new password-protected router...

After 9 manual tries with 9 different configurations, my email is finally working! 😀

I couldn't have done it without you!

But I did want you to know that I had to tweak the procedures and not follow them exactly. For example, no matter which new password I chose using the password requirements, nothing worked. What did finally work was using my old password. I also ended up having to press the Option key for each and every procedure. And for the username, I had to use only my .mac account name. Using the .me account user address never worked. I also had to manually change the incoming port and never found anywhere to change the outgoing port.

All in all, you steared me in the right direction and everything is working. Good times! 🙂

Outgoing mail server is smtp.me.com:... (offline). How can I start sending email again?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.