Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ABSOLUTELY FRUSTRATED!! I have had my Macbook Air i7 for 2 weeks, it's died, had a new logic board, it's not gone to sleep. So I reset the P-Ram, that basically broke it again. Resetting SMC saved it. Crashes 4-6 times a day, it's not Chrome. It's cursed.

That's right, it's already had a new logic board. The machine was dead. Bricked.

2012 MacBook Air, maxed out, 512GB SSD & 8GB RAM with the top of the range i7 package.

It seems cursed, it's in no way stable. Basic functions are not working, it's freezing at a hardware level that is fundamental.

I have had a core duo 13 inch Air for nearly two years and that was hardy and has worked flawlessly.

How many other Air owners, new 2012 are in the same boat?

When my machine failed there were at least 5 others on here with the same problem. Machine would not power on.

Since getting fixed, the machine has done this.

> Will not sleep when lid closes.

> Reset PRAM

> Will not restart.

> Reset SMC

> CPU panic on eventual restart.

> Forever stuck on grey screen.

> Have to hard reset.

> Seems fine.

> Will not wake up from sleep, have to hard restart.

> Will crash during screen saver, have to hard restart.

> Crashed 4-6 times a day, have to hard restart.

Frustrated.

I am going to leave it in Windows via bootcamp for a few days and see if that resolves it.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 11, 2012 5:54 AM

34 replies

Oct 11, 2012 8:07 AM in response to matarua

Please try and see if you can as best as you can answer these 4 questions,

this will provide more information and maybe provide a clue to us about the origin of the problem, hopefully!!

It indeed sounds like you got a major hardware fault..😮.. however... to be absolutely sure ℹ

I am a little confused by your post,

Q1: what version of the OSX are you running on your MacBook Air?

Q2: did you happen to migrate any files or programs from the other MacBook Air?

When you have " what are known in the computer tech world as a kernal panic"

Q3: do you have your MacBook Air plugged into any external devices?

I am trying to piece together what might be happening here too.

We need more information. Please examine everything you have plugged in, or any older software on your computer.

Q4: What were you doing exactly at the time of the Kernal Panic?

Record it, and get back to us on the forum.

Oct 11, 2012 1:47 PM in response to conorfromvictoria

Thanks for looking in to this... much appreicated.

OSX is up to date with the latest EFI SMC firmware update. Mountain Lion totally up to date.

Yes I migrated my old Air to this new Air.

I have seen kernal panics before. This was a panic was during startup, the grey screen got a whole bunch of black lines on it filled with code, very Windows like, and it's as if I was seeing behind the scenes as it loaded and did a CPU panic.

As I type this, I restarted in to bootcamp Windows 7 last night. Fresh install of that. It was restarted this morning to Mac due to updates. So I restarted to Windows, and on the desktop it just froze. Then I had to hard restart it. I did disk and permissions repair on the Mac side. Started back in to Windows, it's frozen on startup. Had to hard restart. The machine will now not power on at all. It is unresponsive with power button holding down. Holding the power button down with shift. Nothing. Resetting SMC now. Nothing. Pull power out and it springs back to life. I restart Mac to boot in Windows again. Screen just goes black and it will not power on. Reset SMC to get it going. This is just after restarting the machine. Opening Windows now, startup is being repaired as it's crashed during start-up. Looks like it's hung again, but I am just going to leave it.

That's been the last half hour with the machine. And I am supposed to be able to work on it?

I have had a time machine drive plugged in, and an iPod, both have been removed and still no joy. Problems.

As I said earlier the panic was during startup.

It's just cursed. To have had a new logic board already? Something is faulty, power maybe? I just don't know at this stage.

Oct 11, 2012 2:06 PM in response to matarua

It's just going from bad to worse, it's not starting up at all, for like 10 minutes nothing. Then the power adaptor light goes red, I reset the SMC and finally after all that time it comes back alive. This is after another CPU panic during start up. It's now stuck on a grey page that states ' my computer restarted because of a problem. Press a key or wait a few seconds' well it's been a few minutes and it's doing nothing.

Oct 11, 2012 4:22 PM in response to matarua

Stop what you're doing because you are not getting anywhere.

Perform another SMC reset since it is not showing a correct a battery state.

Run Apple Hardware Test. Run the extended tests. Do not proceed unless AHT reports "no problems found".

Then, boot OS X Recovery, erase the SSD, install OS X and nothing else.

Test for a day or two. One crash and it goes back to Apple. At that point I would settle for nothing less than another MBA or a full refund.

What method did you use to do that?

Oct 11, 2012 6:32 PM in response to matarua

Answer the questions.

You're frustrated with your MacBook Air, but you aren't helping yourself any by not answering the 4 questions

I asked. I too am loosing my hair trying to figure out your problem.

Please go back and answer those questions. That way we can help you!

Thanks.

Are you still having the problems?

"A restart fixed that"

Don't know what "that" is

Oct 11, 2012 11:25 PM in response to conorfromvictoria

I answered the four questions ages ago, did you not see that?

Thanks for looking in to this... much appreicated.

OSX is up to date with the latest EFI SMC firmware update. Mountain Lion totally up to date.

I have seen kernal panics before. This was a panic was during startup, the grey screen got a whole bunch of black lines on it filled with code, very Windows like, and it's as if I was seeing behind the scenes as it loaded and did a CPU panic.

As I type this, I restarted in to bootcamp Windows 7 last night. Fresh install of that. It was restarted this morning to Mac due to updates. So I restarted to Windows, and on the desktop it just froze. Then I had to hard restart it. I did disk and permissions repair on the Mac side. Started back in to Windows, it's frozen on startup. Had to hard restart. The machine will now not power on at all. It is unresponsive with power button holding down. Holding the power button down with shift. Nothing. Resetting SMC now. Nothing. Pull power out and it springs back to life. I restart Mac to boot in Windows again. Screen just goes black and it will not power on. Reset SMC to get it going. This is just after restarting the machine. Opening Windows now, startup is being repaired as it's crashed during start-up. Looks like it's hung again, but I am just going to leave it.

That's been the last half hour with the machine. And I am supposed to be able to work on it?

I have had a time machine drive plugged in, and an iPod, both have been removed and still no joy. Problems.

As I said earlier the panic was during startup.

It's just cursed. To have had a new logic board already? Something is faulty, power maybe? I just don't know at this stage.

I also was replying to myself later, with a live update of the woes.

ABSOLUTELY FRUSTRATED!! I have had my Macbook Air i7 for 2 weeks, it's died, had a new logic board, it's not gone to sleep. So I reset the P-Ram, that basically broke it again. Resetting SMC saved it. Crashes 4-6 times a day, it's not Chrome. It's cursed.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.