Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

viewing photos from imac through apple tv

I have an imac upstairs and want to view my various photo librairies (sp?) on iphoto downstairs on my tv, can I do this w/o having to run back upstairs to my imac to select which folder I want to view, in other words can I control my imac from the AppleTV remote... BTW... I also have an iphone 5 and a 1st gen ipad which I could use if there was an app to accomplish this.

thanks

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Oct 11, 2012 5:31 AM

6 replies

Oct 11, 2012 7:43 AM in response to tsbrady1

You need to set up Photo Stream in iPhoto on the iMac, and use photo stream on the Apple TV to view.

I struggled with this at first; but it works very well.

The issue I have is in iPhoto I have all my photos organised in Events, and Photostream, is just all the photos you place in it, so you can't just switch between events to look at different things.

I hope you can create different streams and label them - I will play around with that perhaps tonight.

It is a pity you can't just access them like music and movies.

Oct 11, 2012 8:47 AM in response to Boscombe

Thanks for the reply Boscombe, before I buy the AppleTv I wanted to make sure it would do this, the only interest I have is to view my photos, I went to an Apple store here in Atlanta and they guy I talked to was pretty much clueless! In iphoto I have my pix arranged in folders by topic such as home, Florida, California, Boat, etc...I don't really have them catagorized by date so much.

Oct 11, 2012 10:39 PM in response to tsbrady1

I played around with the Share Photos in iTunes last night, and it works a treat.

Assuming you alreday have Home Sharing turned on in iTunes.

In iTunes You go to Advanced>Choose Photos to share, and it gives you some options.

I just chose basically everything in iPhoto; but you can be more selective.

Then it depends how you have organised yourself in iPhoto, to how you can select.

Then select on the ATV what you want, and play around with slide shows etc.

Have fun

Nov 28, 2015 9:09 AM in response to tsbrady1

Thanks for the info, I was with you up to the last paragraph; But WHERE on Apple TV do I find the photos? It used to be under computers, now all I can find is the photos icon,and it only opens the most recently downloaded photos, not even in album listing format.

Can you advise re; the steps to 'click' on Apple TV to locate and view all my photos?

viewing photos from imac through apple tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.