Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

strange S/MIME behavior

I've generated several self-signed certificates to use with my various email accounts and transferred them to my iPhone using the iPhone configuration utility.

One of the accounts is set up such that I can choose from different identities.

To check whether everything works ok I tested a few possibilities using the same accounts to sent and receive emails (i.e. user1@mymail.com to user1@mymail.com). The following three work as they should.

- encrypted mail sent from the iPhone and read on a MBP OK

- encrypted mail sent from the iPhone and read on the iPhone OK

- encrypted mail sent from the MBP and read on a MBP OK

Now the fun starts:

- encrypted mail sent from the MBP and read on the iPhone FAILS

It fails with the following message: Decryption Error. This message is encrypted. Install a profile containing your encryption identity to decrypt this message"

Sending messages from different accounts to the affected account (i.e. user2@myothermail.com to user1@mymail.com) works flawlessly.

Any hints will be appreciated.

TIA

Posted on Oct 11, 2012 7:30 AM

2 replies

Jan 12, 2013 11:33 PM in response to macuser222222

I think I found the problem: the sender's public certificate isn't getting automatically installed in iOS 6.

On the iPhone, go to a signed email and tap the sender's name (which has the little blue "signed" checkmark seal). It should say "Signed - The sender signed this message with a trusted certificate". Tap the [View Certificate] button immediately under that. The certificate should say "Trusted". Tap the [Install] button. Nothing happens; the button simply toggles between Install and Remove. But that's the trick. Now you should be able to decrypt encrypted messages and also send encrypted messages to that same contact.

Feb 9, 2013 6:38 AM in response to jrc-__

You are right, the certificates are not automatically installed.

However I did what you described when I installed the certificates. The issue still exists. It would be nice if there were a way to see what certificates are installed on the iPhone. I could then try to check and/or remove these certificates.

I do have the feeling that the iPhone's mailer cannot handle multiple identities connected to the same account thouroghly even if there is only a single identity that uses encryption.

Another weird thing on the iPhone is that whenever you pass a link (or website) from Safari or Opera to the mailer there is no way to encrypt or sign the message. This is only possible if you create a mail from inside the mailer.

As a work around for the first problem I simply use a different mail address but this is not really satisfactory.

strange S/MIME behavior

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.