Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where can I download complete Xcode Developer Tools for OS-X 10.6?

I have OS-X version 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard, I think). I do not have Xcode installed. I do not have the original MAC DVD.

I figured out I needed Xcode 3.2. When I download "Xcode 3.2" it from Apple, during install it says it failed "to locate package at ~/Packages/DeveloperTools.pkg".

Downloading "Xcode 3.2.1 Developer Tools" (there is no "Xcode 3.2 Developer Tools"), installing it results in the same error message. (The contents of this DMG is "XcodeTools.mpkg".)

Maybe I should download "Xcode 3.2.6 and iOS SDK 4.3 for Snow Leopard"? (But that is 4.14GB and I can't download that right now.)

Or am I stuck because I do not have the original DVD which I may need to get "DeveloperTools.pkg"?

(Also, why do you think the DMG binaries are so huge? The "Xcode 3.2" DMG for example, is 1GB, but the inside "Xcode.mpkg" is only 541KB!)

Macbook Air, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Oct 11, 2012 9:27 AM

2 replies

Oct 11, 2012 11:55 AM in response to james stock

Any of the Xcode 3.2.x download packages will work with Snow Leopard. You don't need the Snow Leopard DVD to install Xcode, but if you had the DVD things would be easier for you because you could install Xcode from the DVD and not have to download it. If you don't need to develop for iOS, Xcode 3.2.2 is 744.71 MB, which is a much smaller download than Xcode 3.2.6.

The Xcode binaries are huge because you're downloading and installing more than just Xcode. There are other GUI apps, such as Interface Builder, Instruments, Dashcode, and Quartz Composer. There are also command-line tools. And there may also be developer documentation included with the Xcode binaries. All that adds up.

Oct 13, 2012 5:16 AM in response to Mark Szymczyk

Thank you.

Later on I guessed that the apparent size descrepency had to be for a reason. Turns out that with the (default) of Finder to not view all files ("defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles 0"), opening the Xcode DMG does not display the (hidden) "Packages" folder.

Enabling AppleShowAllFiles results in seeing this Folder, which, of course, I had to drag to my Downloads folder. Then it works as expected.

Where can I download complete Xcode Developer Tools for OS-X 10.6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.