Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

slideshows comparison between fotomagico and fantashow

I want to make slideshows with holiday photographs mainly for my own and family viewing but also with sufficient interest if friends want to see them. So I want to vary transistions, some with a centre interest to zoom, others not zoom at all. I don't want a programme that says you can make a slideshow within minutes. It is too rigid. I want text of a colour of my choosing to appear for a short time, and then disappear. I don't want text on all of them.

the programme I have used on Windows is called Pro show Gold. There seems to be nothing similar for Mac - at least not of that quality. I have been looking at fotomagico - there seems to be a Pro version which is quite expensive but can't seem to discover what it does without doing a trial version. There is also Wondershow or Fantashow for Mac. It also is very basic.

I don't want themes of popping balloons etc. in the surrounds.

I want a programme to work in with iphoto so that the photographs do not have to be in two programmes.

I am trialling lightroom at the moment.

Can anyone help? Rose

Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Oct 11, 2012 12:59 PM

12 replies

Oct 11, 2012 1:30 PM in response to rosemaryfromtakaka

Not really an iPhoto question.

Alternatives to iPhoto's slideshow include:

iMovie, on every Mac sold.

Others, in order of price: PhotoPresenter $29

PhotoToMovie $49.95

PulpMotion $129

FotoMagico $29 (Home version) ($149 Pro version, which includes PhotoPresenter)

Final Cut Pro X $299

It's difficult to compare these apps. They have differences in capability - some are driven off templates. some aren't. Some have a wider variety of transitions. Others will have excellent audio controls. It's worth checking them out to see what meets your needs. However, there is no doubt that Final Cut Pro X is the most capable app of them all. You get what you pay for.

Jan 18, 2013 11:18 PM in response to Yer_Man

I have downloaded Final Cut Pro X and am certainly finding it a learning curve, but determined to persevre (at least at the moment. One problem I have is that on using a Ken Burns effect, I cannot get the starting frame to include the whole of the original photograph. I can move it around, and up or down, but so far, cannot expand it.

Can you help?

Jan 19, 2013 12:02 AM in response to rosemaryfromtakaka

https://discussions.apple.com/community/professional_applications/final_cut_pro_ x?view=discussions

is the FCP X forum.

There are also lots and lots and lots of really good video tutorials on YouTube - just go there and stick 'Slideshow in FCP X' into the search box. Also check out Tom Wolsky's excellent book:

http://www.fcpbook.com/FCPX_for_iMovie_%26_Final_Cut_Express_Users.html

Regards

TD

Jan 26, 2013 7:32 PM in response to BrendonB

Thank you BrendonB. It is a thought to do it that way. However, I am wondering whether to put Boot Camp on the Mac and go back to using ProShow (a Photodex programme). I found instructions on making transistions in Final Cut, e.g. creating your own, and it seemed extremely complicated. Most of the transistions I just would use - I like lots of variety, but not all these blurring, shakey things. ProShow has over 100 transistions that are clean uncomplicated changes, and it seems unnecessary to have to make your own. Is this a programme you are familiar with, or have you always been a Mac user.

Jan 26, 2013 7:35 PM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks Terence. I will use the tutorials more. I find more help with just googling my request than using the help menus. I have downloaded the instructions from the help, but at times it is very difficult to find an answer. However, I have found out some by chance.

You did warn me it would be a serious learning curve, so it serves me right for not doing a trial version first!!

slideshows comparison between fotomagico and fantashow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.