Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I add my wireless printer?

How am I supposed to add my wireless Brother printer to my Mac. It is a MacBook Pro and it has OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 on it. It's is pretty much brand new, but I do not know how to add my printer. Whenever I click on add printer, it goes to a blank page that says Default, Fax, IP, and Windows. But all of those are completely blank. There is nothing in them. And no printer pops up either, even after about 10 minutes of waiting! It is very annoying because I need a printer. This is the screenshot of what comes up.

User uploaded file

And it is blank like that for all of them. What should I do? I am in desperate need of help.

Thanks,

Kiwi135

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), I have the latest software update.

Posted on Oct 11, 2012 3:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2012 6:37 PM

For a wireless printer to appear in the Default view when you select to Add a printer, it must support a protocol like Bonjour. I would assume a Brother wireless printer does support Bonjour so another cause for it not showing is that it is using a different IP address range to what the iMac is using.

To check the IP address ranges being used, on the iMac you can open System Preferences > Network, select the wifi entry in the left pane. The right pane will show what IP address the Mac is using. If you then press the Advanced button and then the TCP/IP tab, this will also give you the Subnet Mask and Router address.

With this information you should then check if the Brother is also using the same Subnet Mask and Router address. There should be an option to print or view the network address settings currently set in the Brother.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2012 6:37 PM in response to kiwi135

For a wireless printer to appear in the Default view when you select to Add a printer, it must support a protocol like Bonjour. I would assume a Brother wireless printer does support Bonjour so another cause for it not showing is that it is using a different IP address range to what the iMac is using.

To check the IP address ranges being used, on the iMac you can open System Preferences > Network, select the wifi entry in the left pane. The right pane will show what IP address the Mac is using. If you then press the Advanced button and then the TCP/IP tab, this will also give you the Subnet Mask and Router address.

With this information you should then check if the Brother is also using the same Subnet Mask and Router address. There should be an option to print or view the network address settings currently set in the Brother.

How do I add my wireless printer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.