Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it unlawful to sell my used final cut studio version 3 software?

I had listed my software at eBay after deauthorizing it from my Mac Pro. Was I under a contract with Apple that prevented me from reselling the software?(I'm afraid I don't have time to read pages of fine print.) Here's the message I just received from eBay after the closed my auction:

You recently listed the following listing:

300791938347 - Apple Final Cut Studio Version 3 (Version 2 Retail plus Version 3 Upgrade)
Your listing has been removed.
Your item was removed because of a request we received from BSA (Business Software Alliance) (US), a member of our Verified Rights Owner Program (VeRO), asking us to remove the item for:
- Software offered for sale is in violation of an enforceable license agreement, which constitutes a copyright infringement.
If you have additional questions or concerns on why your item was removed, please contact BSA (Business Software Alliance) (US) directly at:
abuse@bsa.org
Please allow 7 days for BSA (Business Software Alliance) (US) to reply to you.
All listing fees associated with the removed item(s) have been credited back to your account.
The rights owner or an agent authorized to act on behalf of the rights owner, BSA (Business Software Alliance) (US), notified eBay that this listing violates intellectual property rights. When eBay receives a report of this type of violation, we remove the listing to comply with the law.
Copyright infringement is unlawful and against eBay policies. Copyright is the protection provided by law to the authors of creative works, such as movies, music, software, photographs, and books, both published and unpublished. Copyright owners have the exclusive right to reproduce the copyrighted work, to distribute copies of the copyrighted work, and to perform or display the copyrighted work publicly.
eBay doesn't allow the listing of unauthorized copies of copyrighted works. Unauthorized copies include backup, pirated, duplicated, or bootlegged copies.
If the product you are selling is a copy of another work that you aren't authorized to copy, don't list the item. eBay doesn't allow the sale of software if this violates the manufacturer's copyright license. Some common types of software with license agreement restrictions include:
-- Academic software: Software that is sold at discounted prices to students, faculty members, and educational institutions
-- Beta software: Early copies of software that are distributed by software developers for evaluation, testing, and troubleshooting purposes
-- Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) software: Software that is included with the purchase of new equipment such as a computer, digital camera, or printer
You may need to obtain the manufacturer's consent to sell this software.
For more information, please visit:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/replica-counterfeit.html
You may need to take a tutorial. The next time you sell, you may be asked to take the tutorial, if it's required. Once you've completed the tutorial successfully, please review your account status for any other possible concerns. If there are no other issues, you should be able to sell again.
To take the intellectual property tutorial, please visit:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/tutorial/verotutorial/intro.html
Please be aware that any additional violations of this policy may result in the suspension of your account. eBay understands that you may be concerned about this situation. We encourage you to contact BSA (Business Software Alliance) (US) directly if you have any questions.
You can send an email to: abuse@bsa.org
For more information on how eBay protects Intellectual Property, or for additional information if you believe that your listing has been removed as a result of an error or misidentification, please visit the following Help page:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/programs-vero-ov.html
For more information on why eBay may remove a listing, please visit:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/questions/listing-ended.html
Please be assured that your listings have not been targeted in any way. Although there may be similar items currently listed on eBay, we review all listings that are reported to us by eBay members or Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) program participants. We rely on reports from our members to help maintain the safety and security of our Community. We encourage you to report any items by using the REPORT THIS ITEM button on the listing so we can quickly remove any other items that should be removed.
If you have additional questions, contact our policy experts. Get started by clicking the link below:
http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ContactCS&Query=1337&Domain=Homer_EOA&F rom=5265
We appreciate your understanding.
Thanks,
eBay
Please don't reply to this message. It was sent from an address that doesn't accept incoming email.
H5265

User uploaded file
User uploaded file

2008 Mac Pro, 2x2.8 GHZ Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 24 GB 800 MHz, Two SSD Drives,

Posted on Oct 11, 2012 2:52 PM

8 replies

Oct 11, 2012 3:05 PM in response to maybenot

eBay heavily "overprotects" copyright owners.

The BSA is hired by Apple to look out for copyright violations. They simply go after everything without any investigation. eBay plays along and so you are the one with the problem to do something completely lega.

Here is the relevant section of FCS's SLA:

3. Transfer. You may not rent, lease, lend, sell, redistribute or sublicense the Apple Software. You may, however, make a one-time permanent transfer of all of your license rights to the Apple Software to another party, provided that: (a) the transfer must include all of the Apple Software, including all its component parts, original media, printed materials and this License; (b) you do not retain any copies of the Apple Software, full or partial, including copies stored on a computer or other storage device; and (c) the party receiving the Apple Software reads and agrees to accept the terms and conditions of this License. All components of the Apple Software are provided as part of a bundle and may not be separated from the bundle and distributed as standalone applications.

This means that you are allowed to sell the package if you are the original owner of the software.

Is it unlawful to sell my used final cut studio version 3 software?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.