Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Won't install on clean OS X: Error enabling server management.

Hi All,

I'm getting seriously fed up of Server.app.

I previously had it installed on my Mac Mini, but due to various reasons did a clean install of OS X. On boot, the only app I have installed so far is Parallels. My second app is Server.app, well it would be but it fails when trying to configure it:

User uploaded file

Error enabling server management.

A problem was detected with Server. Please redownload Server from the App Store.

Obviously I did do this, to no avail. I also copied over a known working version of Server.app from another machine and got the same message. I mean what gives? Why isn't it even letting me install it?!

Thanks

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 11, 2012 2:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2012 3:14 PM

Fixed it, very odd. Looked at Console.app, it was trying to copy a launchd job into the /Library/LaunchDaemons/ folder, and for some reason it didn't exist so it failed. Created the folder manually and it worked.

Very very odd.. shoudn't this folder be installed by default?!

17 replies

Mar 21, 2013 10:59 AM in response to UptimeJeff

Not only do I have that folder already in existence, but I have a plist file located there that is for the server.app I'm sure.

com.apple.serverd.plist

I have tried deleting this and relaunching to no avail.

Still stuck with the error.

And terminal doesn't seem to agree with that command.

Says "-al" isn't a valid command?

Console is giving me a tiny bit of info that might help...

3/21/13 12:40:19.800 PM Server[8383]: Could not find image named 'XSLock'.

3/21/13 12:40:34.388 PM launchdadd[8388]: Could not open /Applications/Server.app/Contents/Library/LaunchServices/com.apple.serverd (open() error 2: No such file or directory)

3/21/13 12:40:34.388 PM launchdadd[8388]: Could not close file descriptor for old temporary tool. Continuing on. We will be left with a dangling reference to the file, and this will prevent it from being cleaned up automatically by the system until launchdadd is either relaunched or the system is rebooted. (close() error 9: Bad file descriptor)

3/21/13 12:40:34.389 PM launchdadd[8388]: FAILURE: Could not create a request for tool at path /Applications/Server.app/Contents/Library/LaunchServices/com.apple.serverd

3/21/13 12:40:34.390 PM Server[8383]: ERROR: failed to enable serverd: Error Domain=kSMErrorDomainFramework Code=5 "The operation couldn’t be completed. (kSMErrorDomainFramework error 5 - The tool at the specified path is not valid.)" UserInfo=0x7fba6c0bc270 {NSDescription=The tool at the specified path is not valid.}

Not sure where to go from here.

Mar 21, 2013 11:17 AM in response to Keiferretherford

This is not the same issue as the original post

I wasn't suggesting you delete /Library/LaunchDaemons or anything within it.

Was your Server app installed by the App Store?

You may want to trash the App (triggers it to shut down services) then reinstall from the App Store.

When you run the newly installed Sercer app, it will resetup services and use your existing config files from /Library/Server

Mar 21, 2013 11:37 AM in response to UptimeJeff

I understand. Just stating that I tried that previously.

I also have my own post started involving this same error message.

No activity on it yet, so I thought I'd ask here as well.

And yes it was downloaded from the App Store.

I have tried deleting the app and redownloading it many times.

It works fine on my MBP, but that doesn't help me much for a home server.

May 10, 2013 7:17 AM in response to garbe87

I had the same problem and tried redownloading the Server app from the Store. Console was showing the same error - Could not find image named 'XSLock' but I also noticed that a recurring error message involving Crashplan. I uninstalled Crashplan, rebooted and everything installed OK.

Maybe worth checking whether Crashplan or something else is running in the background and is interrupting the Server set up.

Aug 3, 2013 4:55 AM in response to studentguy

Error enabling server management is the same issue from the orginal post and I have tried all of the suggested approaches In this tread. I still get the same error on my Mac Mini; The I don't unstand why sure a usless error message exists and there doesn't seem to be any help from Apple.

Usually uninstalling / rebooting / reinstalling should work for most Apps. I even use Cleanmymac to get rid of remaining files that might be causing issues.

User uploaded file

Aug 13, 2013 3:41 AM in response to studentguy

1) Boot your OSX machine with the CMD key and R keys depressed. This get you to the Restore screen

2) Go to Disk Utilities and Erase the Main Server Drive. Don't re-format.

3) Return to the Restore screen and perform reinstall.

4) Peform the full installation as if you just got back from the store with the machine.

5) Installed the Server App.

6) Configured the Server and started it.

7) Migrated your Applications from Time Machine (just the Apps and Docs, not the users) using the OSX Utility

8) I then had to reinstall some Apps and reconfigure

Seems OSX can't get rid of the ghosts left from the previous Server installation, so you end up in a catch 22, there is no Server but the Install App sees one already on your machine.

You would think there would be a way to remove all traces of the previous Server, but this seems to be the only way.

Sep 17, 2013 8:25 AM in response to studentguy

I was able to fix this isssue without reinstalling OSX.

First I deleted Server.app and everything else I could find relating to the OSX server in /var and /Library. After reinstalling a clean copy from the App Store I still received the error you have mentioned.

Here's the fix. I edited the file following file: /var/db/launchd.db/com.apple.launchd/overrides.plist

And removed the following:

<key>com.apple.serverd</key>

<dict>

<key>Disabled</key>

<false/>

</dict>

Now I was able to get past this step and reinstall a clean OSX server. It still had some of my old DNS and DHCP settings, but you can easily clean those out.

Won't install on clean OS X: Error enabling server management.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.