Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook says "Startup Disk is full" but it isn't full

For the past couple of days, I've been getting the message that I'm unable to save/download something because the startup disk is full. It says I have about 81 MB left (I believe that's the number, last time I checked) but the bar is completely filled with yellow. Which is strange because I used to have an awful lot of photos/videos up until I deleted them earlier because of this issue... the bar also says I have 0kb for every other category.

After, I downloaded a virus scanner off of the app store to check if it's caused by a virus, but it hasn't had any results. Am I doing something wrong, or is my computer really infected?

I'm pretty much desperate for help at this point, so any links/tips would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not the best with computers either (I'm fourteen) so please break it down for me [I do have prior knowledge of computers, I'm slowly learning more about the Macbook, as I've had it since September 2011]

Here's information about my Mac:

Mac OS X

Version 10.7.4 (It won't let me update due to the full disk)

Memory 4 GB

24.5 MB free out of 319.21 GB

http://tinypic.com/r/116o178/6 <--- View that for a better look on my storage

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 11, 2012 4:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2012 11:33 PM

24.5 MB is not much. On your drive most here say you should have at least 31 GB free so OSX works correctly.

Read things in RAM and Hard drive space.

Here's Freeing up Disk Space.

DALE

48 replies

Oct 12, 2012 12:02 AM in response to Kasey

I've seen this issue before, it has to do with your mail program incorrectly trying to save a file over and over again which eventually fills the drive. The best way to find out where all the taken up space is to use finder and click the word "go" on the top of the screen.

Go to "computer". And go into the Mac HD. Then go into the "users" folder. from there, choose the home folder.

Once inside the home folder start right clicking the folders and choosing "get info". This window will show you the size each folder is taking up on your hard drive. Most likely your "library" folder is taking up the significant chunk.

Verify it is the mail issue I think it is by using get info to find the source of the taken up space.

I believe your culprit will be in your library folder, then mail folder, and In here we need to find and delete the recovered messages and an offlinecache file

delete OfflineCache" at: "~/Library/Mail/(your email address here)/.OfflineCache

And delete "Recovered Files" Mailbox folder at "~/Library/Mail/Mailboxes/Recovered Messages (your email address here).mbox

Lastly, restart your computer.

Oct 12, 2012 12:36 PM in response to Kasey

Thanks so much to the both of you. I just read your replies, and I already fixed it about two hours after I posted this. Apparently, I had over 5000+ messages (I think even more than that) and deleting all of that (and a few other things) helped my computer and now everything is normal again!

🙂

Oct 19, 2012 6:51 PM in response to Dale Weisshaar

I've been having a very similar issue since I "upgraded" to Mountain Lion but I'm not sure it has exactly the same cause. Every once in a while, I'll attempt to save a document in MS Word (2011) and I'll get the error message below:

User uploaded file

I've tried all the options listed on the error message, but none of them work. I've closed out of all my windows, and tried saving the document to a small jump drive or my 250 GB external hard drive, but I keep getting the same error message. What I usually end up having to do is copying all of the text of my document into an (unformatted) email, sending it to myself, and then pasting and re-formatting it in Word after I restart.

I followed your instructions above to check the size of each folder in my user account (the only user account on a 128 GB Macbook Air) and the folder sizes were roughy what I expected. I have about 1.3 GB in My Documents, about 100 MB in Downloads, and everything else is negligible (I keep media on an external hard drive).

My disk memory shows that I have about 100 GB free space:

User uploaded file

Do you have any idea why it would suddenly think I have no room on anything I plug in?

Oct 20, 2012 8:22 AM in response to EvanderAHA

Hi, thanks for responding! I didn't know what Text Edit was (this is my first mac) but I'll definitely try that next time it happens. I've only gotten the error message from MS Word, but that's because the only other program I've been using when it happens is Safari. Next time it happens I'll try both (1) pasting the text into a new Text Edit document and saving to iCloud, and (2) creating a new MS Excel document and saving to the Mac HD.

May 15, 2013 1:35 AM in response to jawinter

Jawinter: your issue is actually totally different from the original poster in this thread, and as you've discovered, actually has nothing to do with free disk space. It's connected with the Undo feature in Word, which keeps many backup copies of the file open. Check out this long thread on the Microsoft forum. Solutions include turning off Track Changes (if it's running) and copying and pasting the file text into a different file.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macoffice2011-macword/disk-full-and -much-more-misery/e9dabe09-7392-4f67-848b-c09cb1adb364

Matt

Jun 13, 2013 4:23 AM in response to EvanderAHA

Hi,

I think I am having a similar problem, but without the similar cause. I see this in terms of storage: User uploaded file

but I believe it is an error. I am in medical school, and after failing to find a large mail folder or any of the other suggestions in these comments, I deleted about 75 GB worth of medical textbooks, thinking surely was the culprit. However, when I went to check the storage, I still am seeing this screen (no change for what I'd deleted, even after restarting my computer), and getting the error: full disk message. Any suggestions? 😟

Thanks!

Sarah

Macbook says "Startup Disk is full" but it isn't full

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.