Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard clicking sounds on New iPad 3 stops working

So, so sick of this. Got new iPad 3. Cannot make keyboard clicks work. Tried ALL the support info about turning off/on mute, lock screen rotation, volume, etc., etc., and etc. Nothing works. Nothing. What's going on? Is this what happens when Jobs is not around?

C'mon, ***?

Can't anyone fix this?

iPad 2, iOS 6, New iPad 3

Posted on Oct 11, 2012 4:58 PM

6 replies

Oct 11, 2012 5:06 PM in response to Frustrated Once Again

User uploaded file

If you can hear songs in the music app - you do have system sounds muted. I am assuming that you did check Settings>Sounds>Keyboard Clicks On.

If you lose sounds for keyboard clicks, games or other apps, email notifications and other notifications, system sounds may have been muted.

System sounds can be muted and controlled two different ways. The screen lock rotation can be controlled in the same manner as well.

Settings>General>Use Side Switch to: Mute System sounds. If this option is selected, the switch on the side of the iPad above the volume rocker will mute system sounds.

If you choose Lock Screen Rotation, then the switch locks the screen. If the screen is locked, you will see a lock icon in the upper right corner next to the battery indicator gauge.

If you have the side switch set to lock screen rotation then the system sound control is in the task bar. Double tap the home button and in the task bar at the bottom, swipe all the way to the right. The speaker icon is all the way to the left. Tap on it and system sounds will return.

If you have the side switch set to mute system sounds, then the screen lock rotation can be accessed via the task bar in the same manner as described above.

This support article from Apple explains how the side switch works.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4085

Oct 11, 2012 5:22 PM in response to Demo

Tried both of these suggestions several times because it appears the these ywo suggestions are the most suggested options on this board.

I also tried reboot as well.

Yes, I have sound for music, Siri, mic input, etc. I do not have sound for any keyboard click. When I preview a sound i.e., Swoosh, I hear it clearly. But when the Swoosh, lock keyboard, keyboard clicks, etc. sounds are expected, no doce.

Unfortunately, the above 2 suggestions did not solve my problem.

Oct 11, 2012 5:33 PM in response to Frustrated Once Again

Forgive me for being repetitive - but If you cannot hear the email swoosh, the keyboard clicks, or the iPad lock sound - and you have those sounds turned on in the Sounds Setting - That pretty much proves to me that system sounds are indeed muted. It just don't think that you are configuring the settings correctly.

Go to Settings>General>Use Side Switch to>Lock Rotation. Then flip the side switch and see if the lock icon appears in the upper right corner. If it does appear on the iPad screen, then the side switch is configured to lock the screen rotation. So flip the switch the other way to unlock the rotation.

Now double tap the home button and swipe all the way to the right in the recents tray at the bottom. The speaker icon should be all the way on the left side. If the speaker has a line through it - tap on it and see if the line through the speaker disappears. If the line disappeared, then system sounds have been unmuted and they should work now.

Tap the home button or tap anywhere above the recents tray to return to the home screen.

Oct 11, 2012 5:49 PM in response to Demo

Ok, ok, I will put it in print to make it official: I am an idiot.

For those who didn't hear me the first time: I AM AN IDIOT!

My confusion was in my misunderstanding of how to "flip the switch". What I was doing in order to flip the switch was "pressing the sound-up and sound-down toggle switch". Dumb. Dumb. And Dumber.

This, of course, would never un-mute things. I have never seen the slash through the speaker although I've seen the tray at the bottom many times. Bottom line, I never really "flipped the switch".

There should be a picture of a brain with a slash through it on the switch for idiots like me.

Thank you for your help.

Keyboard clicking sounds on New iPad 3 stops working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.