Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving Itunes library to NAS

Now this was so simple in Windows Media Player but seems to be impossible in ITunes.

I want to move the iTunes library and all its content to my NAS from my PC hard drive. as it is full and my NAS is half empty.

Followed the simple instructions as given by apple:

1. changed default library to location on NAS (under edit/preferences/advaned tab) ensuring that "keep itunes fold organsed" is checked

2. under file/library/organsie library, selected consolidate - the consolidate process started copying music etc over to NAS but failed and then deleted everything it had copied over before stopping.

So Tried copying everything over to NAS myself and then trying steps 1 and 2 above. ITunes deleted everything on NAS that I had copied over, started copying again, failed and deleted everything it had copied so far (about 200 tracks).

So my question is very simple, is there a way that I can get my music that I have copied over onto my NAS into iTunes. Given that iTunes still lists everything on my PC. I know that Itunes keep a database of all music and points to my music on the PC, can I get rid of this and have it create a new database pointing to the music on the NAS. This would be a good first step. The whole thing is complicated because I also use iMatch and am sure that will go all weird but I will worry about that afterwards.

I have also tried uninstalling iTunes and then reinstalling, Didnt help one bit, everything remained the same.

itunes-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 1:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 5:00 AM

The simple way to make this happen.

Close iTunes.

Copy the ENTIRE iTunes folder from the comptuer to the NAS.

Hold <SHIFT> and launch iTunes. Continue holding <SHIFT> until the box appears asking to create a new or locate a library. Point iTunes to the iTunesLibrary.itl file on the NAS.

Close iTunes.

Move the existing iTunes folder on the computer to another location or simply rename it.

Launch iTunes and ensure everything is working properly.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2012 5:00 AM in response to garyfromlondon

The simple way to make this happen.

Close iTunes.

Copy the ENTIRE iTunes folder from the comptuer to the NAS.

Hold <SHIFT> and launch iTunes. Continue holding <SHIFT> until the box appears asking to create a new or locate a library. Point iTunes to the iTunesLibrary.itl file on the NAS.

Close iTunes.

Move the existing iTunes folder on the computer to another location or simply rename it.

Launch iTunes and ensure everything is working properly.

Jan 13, 2013 9:43 AM in response to laketahoebob

laketahoebob wrote:

"Copy the ENTIRE iTunes folder from the comptuer to the NAS."

Moving the iTunes folder? There appear to be several components. Library/itunes; library/music/itunes; can't find the movies or tv shows or itunesU folders.

This is why you move the ENTIRE iTunes folder, it contains all the media.

If multiple iTunes folders exists, this could be a problem. The iTunes library needs to be consolidated.

Jul 12, 2013 3:51 AM in response to bartender041

Yes, you would still need to change the media folder path in Advanced.

What do you mean "fails for whatever reason"?

Simply copy or move the folder... if you believe there is insufficient space in the target directory, find a different location with more storage to move the iTunes folder.

As long as you do not delete the existing iTunes folder before ensuring that everything is working in the new location there is no issue. iTunes can be pointed to a new library location as many times as the user likes.

Jul 19, 2013 9:16 AM in response to garyfromlondon

I have a Seagate GoFlex Home 3TB NAS Server. I was easily able to transfer my iTunes folder from my Mac to the NAS server and redirect iTunes to it's new location. All media works fine and all data integrity was maintained.

The only issue I am having now is everytime I restart the computer, iTunes "forgets" where the iTunes folder is and I have to direct it to thew location on my server. It then works fine. If I Quit iTunes and reopen it, it works fine. Issue is only when the Mac is shutdown/restarted.

In iTunes> Preferences> Advanced: it doe show the correct location of my iTunes folder on my server. It seems as though when the Mac is shutdown/restarted, it looses this location.

Any suggestions?

Aug 11, 2013 8:18 PM in response to clintster442

You need to mount the drive every time your Mac starts. Go into System Preferences, selecting the Users &amp; Groups preference (choose Accounts if running a version of OS X prior to Lion), unlocking the Administrator's account, and clicking on the Login Items tab. Then mounted the Music folder on the NAS and drag it to the list of login items. On restart the NAS should mount (you may be prompted for its password before it does so, which occurs with each restart).

Moving Itunes library to NAS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.