Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microsoft Word 2011 for Mac

Since yesterday I have been having trouble saving a large word document with additional word documents embedded. After some time when I go to save the document I receive a message stating that it cannot be saved when in use by another program. I select 'OK' and I get the time circle (whatever, it is called. it is the colorful circle that just spends when the system is not responding). The circle doesn't go away. Yesterday, I manually forced a shut down and when I logged back in to the computer 2 files appeared Word Work File L_######. One I was able to open and the other (the large document with embedded documents) I was not.

I ended up recreating the document. The same thing has happened today. I am thinking because my Macbook needs the latest software update that might be causing the problem; however, I don't have the issue with any other Microsoft programs.

Any ideas?

Candace

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 5:40 AM

5 replies

Oct 12, 2012 6:13 AM in response to candacedxn25

do you know how to at least stop the time out circle?

I concur with the others about using the MS Office forums for this issue. However, with regard to the question above, there really isn't a way to stop the beach ball cursor. That cursor only appears when a particular app is not responding. Sometimes that happens when an app is performing a lengthy and intensive task and is temporarily too busy to respond, in which case the cursor will eventually go away on its own. Other times, this happens because the app has frozen, in which case the cursor will never go away on its own, and the app must be force quit (press command-option-esc, select the app that's not responding and force it to quit). Note that force quitting should not be done too quickly, as forcing an app to quit while it is in the middle of some intense task can cause any number of problems, including corruption of whatever data the app was working with at the time. Any time force quitting becomes necessary, there is a serious problem with the app experiencing the issue.

Oct 15, 2012 2:11 AM in response to thomas_r.

Thanks. Still very helpful response because I didn't know how to force quit (new mac user). I don't try to force quit often but in this case after 1 full day the beach ball was still going so i know the program was just not responding and I didn't want to force quit by shutting down my notebook altogether by holding the power button (although I did).

Microsoft Word 2011 for Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.