Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

help please - browsing

I want to make a list of my music by artist and, under that, album, as a word document, so I can give it to friends who can see if they want to borrow anything. I would go and do it all manually, but I've got ridiculous numbers of songs, so it would take me endless hours to list. Does anybody know of a way to do this? If I copy the song listings as shown in itunes into excel or something, they come with all the tracks listed, and all I want is artists and albums. Deleting all but one of each track, and rearanging the artist and album names afterwords would, once again, take me half a day. I tried to do some browsing thing, browsing by artists, but if I then select album names in the adjacent window, it once again displays all the tracks. I tried searching my music-containing folder for all folders and hoping they would be listed in the order they were found (artist album album artist album album album ... down the list)but there is no search option for a folder file. Is there some program you know that would give me an easily copiable list or data sheet of some sort that I could use? I don't know who else to ask.

dell dimension 8400 Windows XP

Posted on Apr 12, 2006 7:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2006 8:18 PM

hi sasha!

hmmm. do you need it as a Word document? would a hard copy do in a pinch?

if you just needed a paper list of albums and artists, try this:

in itunes, go "file > print"

select "Album listing"

in the "Themes", select "List of albums".

that'll print you a list of albums, sorted by artist (no songs).

lov, b
10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2006 8:18 PM in response to sashafklein

hi sasha!

hmmm. do you need it as a Word document? would a hard copy do in a pinch?

if you just needed a paper list of albums and artists, try this:

in itunes, go "file > print"

select "Album listing"

in the "Themes", select "List of albums".

that'll print you a list of albums, sorted by artist (no songs).

lov, b

Apr 12, 2006 8:45 PM in response to b noir

also, i tried printing, and it's about 30 pages, each of which would appear from the first 3 to have an itunes header but then be blank. ? I'm guessing this won't work, but trying to go through album by album would just take me all day. and i'm trying to email the list to someone in mexico, so printing wouldn't really work. but thanks, really

Apr 12, 2006 9:09 PM in response to sashafklein

thanks. a lot. but do you know any way to cheat, and maybe preview the print job or something? i couldn't find one.

hmmmm. actually, the way i do that sort of cheating also allows me to produce an electronic copy of the beast.

i've got a copy of Adobe Acrobat Standard 6 (the PDF creation software, not just the reader) on the same PC that has my itunes on it.

so i set up my print the way i described in the previous post.

i clicked "Page Setup".

i clicked "Printer"

i selected "Adobe PDF" from my printers list.

and after going through the bells and whistles of printing the file, i got a 6-page PDF file (with searchable/selectable text). only 27.5 kB in size too, which would be handy for attaching to emails to send to people.

here's a screenshot of the top half of page 1:

Album listing screenshot

does that look close enough for your purposes?

love, b

Apr 12, 2006 9:26 PM in response to sashafklein

also, i tried printing, and it's about 30 pages, each of which would appear from the first 3 to have an itunes header but then be blank.

really? that's unusual. mine printed out in 6 pages, just like the PDF version. looked just like the PDF too.

still, if you can't get it to print properly on your PC, and you don't have Acrobat, and you dont feel it's worth the time and effort to find a PC with a scanner (Kinkos?) scanning the printout to a PDF and sending that file to Mexico, this sort of possibility isn't going to work for you, i guess.

love, b

Apr 12, 2006 9:54 PM in response to sashafklein

yeah. it was so many pages cause ive got some 15 thousand song,

that makes sense. 5 times as many songs as me, so 5 times 6 pages = 30 pages. (wonder what was going on with the blank things, though?)

... hang on a second, there's another option. We don't have to extract the information from the library and send that. if your friend has the right kind of PC setup. we can send her a copy of your itunes library file itself, and she can use a copy of itunes to read that.

Does she have a PC, running Windows XP (very important), that's capable of running the same version of itunes that you have?

love, b

Apr 12, 2006 10:29 PM in response to Katrina S.

I still don't know why I'm listed above you

(giggle)

it's because you've been helping more people than i have

thank you, sweetie!

it's actually been quite a fun couple of days. two different "creative" threads (including this one) ... several error messages that i'm pretty sure i hadn't seen since last year ... the tension of the Rachyl L3-watch (she's been stalled out at 990 for about a day now ... i keep flicking back here to check if the third blue thingy has shown up yet ...) ... reading that thread with you and TMK on the smart playlists ...

(sigh) i'm beginning to sound maudlin (as well as extremely strange). better go to bed. see you tomorrow!

love, b

help please - browsing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.