Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't boot into Mac OS after Windows install via Bootcamp

Hello.

Last night I installed Windows 7 on my Macbook Pro early 2011 via Bootcamp.After some major complications I was able to finally install Windows 7 and boot into it. Now I can't boot back into my "Macintosh HD" partition, it shows a no entry sign.

Hard Disk : 320GB Internal Sata

Partitions : 3 -> Mac, Bootcamp and 10.8 Recovery Partition

The good part is that I can still access the Mac OS partition in Windows and Windows is working perfectly fine. As a matter of fact right now I'm on the bootcamped windows.

I have a full time machine backup but still I am looking for a way to solve this without formatting the HDD.

Things I have tried:

1. Resetting NVRAM and PRAM

2. Booting into 10.8 recovery partition and running DU.

• SMART Status : Verified
  • "Macintosh HD" grayed and Not Mounted
  • Successful Verify Permissions (Twice)

Is there a way to solve this? Though the Mountain Lion partition shows when I press the Alt/option key on startup but I can't somehow boot into it.

Thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 5:36 AM

15 replies

Oct 12, 2012 6:00 AM in response to wjosten

wjosten wrote:

Try re-booting while holding down Command + R, click the Apple logo & select Startup Disk, select your Mac hard drive.

Apparently, this also takes me to the 10.8 Recovery Partition with 4 options: Restore Time Machine Backup, Re-install OS X, Get Help Online and Disk Utility.

I don't get an option to click the Apple logo or Select Startup Disk.

Oct 12, 2012 10:03 AM in response to nakulkhandelwal

Your problem is OS X is refusing to boot.

There is still a bootable volume on the Macintosh HD partition, it's just not working.

You can #8 Reinstall Just OS X while command r booted from the Recovery partition, as long as you don't use Disk Utility to erase the Macintosh HD partition, your files and programs remain.

Hook the computer via Ethernet cable to a router (or modem, power reset required) with a fast relaible internet connection, you will need your AppleID and password to reinstall OS X.

Step by Step to fix your Mac

Oct 12, 2012 12:03 PM in response to ds store

Although I am on a Gigabit Backbone, but the problem again is that I can't setup proxy in the recovery partition to re-install Mountain Lion.

Is it possible:

1. To install Snow Leopard (DVD supplied with MBP) then update to Mountain Lion via AppStore?

2. OR make a bootable setup of my downloaded Mountain Lion setup from AppStore, and re-install?

and still have the files and applications intact..

Oct 5, 2013 3:13 PM in response to nakulkhandelwal

I'm very late to the party but I just had this problem and I managed to fix it so here's what I did for anyone else having this issue:

you boot up holding command-r. You click the apple icon at the top-left corner of the screen, first thing there is "Startup Disk", click on "Macintosh HD OS X" or whatever and click restart. This lets you boot back into mac so that you can uninstall windows and get your free space back as I haven't yet found a way to boot back into windows without again going into recovery mode and selecting windows.

Nov 5, 2015 11:44 AM in response to nakulkhandelwal

Here's what worked for me... had this problem recently with El Capitan and Windows 10

• Type in 'Run' in your windows search box and click the 'Run Desktop App' in the choices
  • Type in 'msconfig' in the box and press OK
  • The System Configuration Utility comes up
  • Click the Boot tab
  • Check the box that says 'No GUI boot' and click OK
  • Click Restart and hold down the Option key
  • You should now see OS X and Recovery as boot options
  • Enter Recovery and run Startup Disk from the Apple menu to set your default boot drive to OS X
  • Restart holding no buttons down and you should auto boot into El Capitan

Hope this works for you too!

Jan 11, 2016 11:48 AM in response to hannibalvector

I installed windows 10 on my Mid 2015 MacBook Pro using bootcamp, during the installation process there was a 600mb hardisk partion created which I was not sure of how it got created so I formatted it during the windows installation process, this was not the drive i chose to install windows on but I just formatted. This is what i belive could have caused my problem of not beng able to boot into Mac OS after installing windows.

windows is running smooth and perfect

when i booting i tried all the keys cmd + r and cmd +shft+r got into internet recovery and tried ro resintall mac os on the same drive, it wouldnt let me install I get message saying the computer wont be able to startup with this disk, that is Macintosh HD.

I did set the startup disk on my mac to macintosh hd and not bootcamp still I get logged into Windows, I also tried unmounting the bootcamp windows partion and tried to log in but no luck I was always logged into Windows.

The main partion is still there like i could see it in disk utility with the used and availble data right, but my mac just wont let me boot into yosemite.

please anyone help me out with this sinilar issue.

Can't boot into Mac OS after Windows install via Bootcamp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.