Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Maps: ability to swipe step by step in turn-by-turn mode

I have been using Apple Maps in iOS 6 for the last 3 weeks. Sometimes when I push Route to start the turn-by-turn voice-assisted navigation to my destination, I am presented with what looks almost exactly like the start of the journey, except at the very top it says Step 1 of (#) and below that, the big green tile with instructions inside is actually swipeable! I can flick through and each time it moves to the next step, moving the map and changing the step number. There is literally nothing, as far as I can tell, that I do differently to make this happen. It happens only every once in a while, and it's a guessing game as to which navigating method will happen. I'm writing this post because I would live to know how to control this. For instances in which GPS is unreliable, being able to love between the steps is vital.

Is anyone else experiencing this?!

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 7:37 AM

7 replies

Oct 12, 2012 8:24 AM in response to npasqua

Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I will be keeping an eye on this thread to see if there is a way to choose that option. I have never seen this on my iPhone 5, but it is the way that it shows up on my iPhone 4 with IOS 6. iPhone 4 does did not get the GPS with the IOS 6 update, so it only acts like a swipe, does not change at all when you drive.

Oct 12, 2012 8:27 AM in response to ken5

ken5, your response has given me a thought. I wasn't aware of how it looked on the iPhone 4, but I WAS aware that the iPhone4 won't do turn-by-turn navigation. This has made me think that perhaps, every so often, the moment I hit Route, the phone doesn't have a good GPS signal (or one at all) and the app defaults to the swipeable interface...

Oct 13, 2012 2:02 PM in response to npasqua

Hi npasqua,

I was browsing the support forums here to see if they came up with a fix for the white screen at the App Store and came across this thread that addresses your question:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4395140?tstart=30

Basically it states that if you chose two locations rather than using your current location you get the ability to swipe. Same if you select the walking mode. Not sure if you get voice commands, or location updates in these modes. If not then in my opinion one is better off looking at the list of turns under current location mode. At least this might answer your question.

Ken

Maps: ability to swipe step by step in turn-by-turn mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.