6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 23, 2012 4:42 PM by K T
ralphiedee Level 2 Level 2 (335 points)

I have  video heavy iba, It has 10 videos which come out to around 1.98gb. I believe the AppleStore will pass book validations up to 2 gigs per book?

I need to try to cut these videos down so for instance:

Video 1 is an m4v converted from an .mov in Quicktime 10 using the Export tab on QT 10 Format is set for Ipod touch Iphone 3GS ( the other format was 480p)

size of the m4v is 56.3 mb dimensions are 640 x 480

I did another conversion of the same video but this time used export for web

and got the file size down to 17.6 mb and those dimensions are 480 x 360

Really cant tell the difference when I tap to full screen so before I go ahead and convert each of the nine videos I want to make sure this is the correct way as I'm cutting down the file size by 2/3 which will get me underneath 1GB as I notice when I preview the book in my IPad it takes about 3 minutes to get me to preview the entire book at it's current size.

Any help?

R

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Mac Pro 8 Core
  • 1. Re: Optimizing videos in IBA
    K T Level 7 Level 7 (23,700 points)

Yes, 2.0 GB is max file size for the store - consider making two editions if you need more.

Take a sample video, load it to iTunes, use the menu: Advanced/Create iPad Version... Compare that file's meta data to one of your previously massaged videos and see what turns up numbers wise.

• 2. Re: Optimizing videos in IBA

Tried that and when I select the .mov and selecte "create IPad version" it sayes its already in the correct format??

this is an .mov

?????

RD

• 3. Re: Optimizing videos in IBA

Don't misunderstand  - I'm not saying you should attempt to reprocess a video you've already prepped.

Presumably, you have videos that need processing (Let's call those v1.0unProcessed) , because you stated "I did another conversion of the same video but this time used export for web". You took v1.0 videos and converted/processed them for iBA/iPad use, let's call those v2.0original/process A.

I'm saying to take a v1.0unProcessed and run it thru iTunes, generating a v2.0new/processB and use them for comparison against v2.0original/processA.

• 4. Re: Optimizing videos in IBA

Ah, OK  let me see how this works out over the weekend.

thx

RD

• 5. Re: Optimizing videos in IBA

If they come out with the same metrics, your original process can be retained and you've done all you can, outside of reprocessing the original video to reduce quality.

Good luck.

• 6. Re: Optimizing videos in IBA

Note that iBA 2.0 now apparently automates optimizing videos - it might be interesting to see if you notice an improvement for your needs in this case...