Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone asks for a different account password when I try to update apps

When I had an iPod Touch I was sharing my friends Apple ID. When I got my iPhone 4s several months ago I got my own Apple ID. When I go to update my apps, it asks for the Apple ID password of the account I was using before I got my iPhone. The password of their account has since changed and now I cannot update anyting because it only asks for their account. I never used their account on my iPhone. My iTunes is signed in to MY account. I don't know how to fix this.

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 11:28 AM

6 replies

Oct 12, 2012 11:34 AM in response to mhurley16

You should remove any apps that were attached to the OLD apple ID on the phone. Thats why it is asking. Those apps are tied to the old ID, so you need that PASSWORD in order to update it. I would have set it up as a new phone(A) or delete those old apps and download what you want again(B). Cant update apps connected to another apple ID.

*Just make sure to in settings, store, that its your apple Id in there....

Oct 12, 2012 11:45 AM in response to mhurley16

You either plug it into Itunes and Restore the device(summary tab) or go to settings, general, reset, all content and settings. It will restore the device, then guide you through the setup, like you just bought it. Then you can put your apple ID in etc....Dont worry if you bought anything, you can download again for free. If its under YOUR apple id.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4137

Mar 13, 2013 3:49 PM in response to Laxman25

I there, i have a brand new iphone 5 and did an icloud restore from my iphone 4 so it has exactly the same things on as my 4 did. Suddenly i am also getting asked for an apple id password, which i think belongs to a friend of mine, who has never even used my iphone 4. I've had the 5 less than 2 days and no one has touched my phone. I cannot imagine my friend downloaded any apps on my phone without me knowing on her id and even if she did, it would've been on the iphone 4 too.

It took almost 4 hours to restore from my icloud... do i really need to reset the whole phone and go through the process again?

Many thanks.

My iPhone asks for a different account password when I try to update apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.