Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which way to go...

I want to get a new Apple display.

27" Cinema Display or 27" Thunderbolt Display? Your choice and reason(s) why would be appreciated. I want to make the right choice based on the experiences of fellow Apple users.

(Note that the display connection type nor the support for what devices you can connect to either matter that much to me. That being said, if you have stories to share regarding connecting other devices via USB, FireWire or Thunderbolt, please do share!)

I look forward to any responses. Thank you for your help!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 1:00 PM

5 replies

Oct 12, 2012 11:34 PM in response to superjones

It's a pretty simple choice - if you've a Thunderbolt port on your Mac, go for the Thunderbolt Display - the USB, Firewire, Ethernet, extra Thunderbolt port, etc., all work just fine. The Cinema Display and the Thunderbolt display use exactly the same screen technology - get the Thunderbolt if you've the TB port on your computer.

Clinton

Oct 13, 2012 7:10 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Thank you, Clinton! It is that very similarity between the two displays that has me wondering if one has something special that the other does not. I suppose the only distinguishing factor is that one connects using Thunderbolt while the other does not.

I'll mark the question answered for now. (By the way, Clinton: I am not sure how to change your response from "helped" to "solved". Sorry you are going to be shorted on points.) There is still about a week before I decide and buy a new display - if anyone has anything else to share then please do!

Which way to go...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.