Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't install OS 9.2.1 on my ibook with OS 10.4.11

I have tried to install from the CD with OS 9.2.1 and the message I get is "The system software on the startup disk only functions on the original media, not if copied to another drive." I have done a startup holding the C key and the system boots but I still can't install it. Is there anything I can do as I don't care about the OS X system but need to have 9 working..... Thanks, Bill

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 1:36 PM

8 replies

Oct 12, 2012 10:30 PM in response to Bill289

"The system software on the startup disk only functions on the original media, not if copied to another drive... I previously tried dragging the system folder off the OS 9 CD to the desktop but that didn't work either."

That's the error message you'd receive by dragging the installer disk's System Folder directly to the desktop or hard drive of the Mac. What type of OS 9.2.1 installer disk is this? Is it white with a large "9" on it and if so, is it a full installer or just the OS 9.2.1 Update? If it's a grey Restore disk for another model Mac, that could explain why you're not able to install the software. Additionally, some Macs had a specific pre-OS X software build that includes drivers to support the hardware in that model. In some cases, these drivers may not be found on the universal/retail installer disks, requiring the use of the disk(s) that shipped with the computer when new.

Oct 12, 2012 10:56 PM in response to Jeff

One other point to mention concerns the model iBook that you have. Those manufactured beginning in January 2002 shipped with OS 9.2.2, so OS 9.2.1 (being older) can't be installed. Also, beginning in October 2003, the iBooks shipped with OS 10.3 and no OS 9.2.2. If your iBook has a G4 processor, you'll need an OS X installation, because the computer can't boot into OS 9. It can only run OS 9 apps in the Classic environment, while booted to OS X.

Oct 13, 2012 3:25 PM in response to Bill289

Found a friend with a system folder, much larger than I thought, and used a USB drive to transfer. IT WORKED...Thanks, that was the first time I made progress with this problem, thanks again.

I must have missed something because when I went to run a program I got the following message - Couldn't open because OTUtilitylib couldn't be found........ Another problem to solve.

Oct 15, 2012 11:01 PM in response to Bill289

"OTUtilityLib" is a component of Open Transport. Make sure all extensions with the words Open Transport or OpenTpt in their names are enabled.

Also, make sure both of the extensions named Shared Library Manager and Shared Library Manager PPC are enabled.

Sometimes it can help to throw away the OS 9 prefs file named ASLM Preferences, then restart OS 9.

Can't install OS 9.2.1 on my ibook with OS 10.4.11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.