Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My I Phone 5 will not connect on 3G. Works fine on LTE or Wi Fi.

My new phone (5) will connect to the Internet fine onLTE or Wi Fi but if I only

have 3 G available then I can't connect.

Is their a setting I'm overlooking?

iPhone 5

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 1:34 PM

9 replies

Oct 12, 2012 2:09 PM in response to Gary in Plano

hi there,

basically, you are right. If LTE is not available and 3G is, then your iPhone 5 should connect to and display 3G.

Are you using the same contract with the iPhone 5 that you have used with your iPhone 4?

It might be that your account does allow LTE but not 3G connections.

If LTE and 3G are unavailable, what do you see on your display?

regards, Chris

Oct 12, 2012 2:30 PM in response to Christian A. Burkert

Yes, I have the same AT&T contract, allegedly anyway.

Is it possible that AT&T has separate contract provisions for 3G and LTE? I did a Chat

with AT&T support and that never came up. However, if this is so it sounds like an answer.

To answer your question, when LTE is not available nothing displays in that area

unless WiFi is available, then it will display. Like I say, I got this phone on the afternoon

of the 10th and I have never seen the 3G indicator ever display since I received and activatedt it.

If I'm not in a LTE or WiFi zone I simply get the message “You’re not connected to the internet”.

Oct 12, 2012 2:43 PM in response to Gary in Plano

hi there,

unfortunately I am not familiar with AT&T tariffs and conditions, but I wouldn't be surprised if they "force" you to choose between 3G and LTE.

In case such a choice is indeed needed, be sure to thoroughly check the coverage maps for both standards.

LTE is faster, but much less available and what I read from other US iPhone 5 users occasionally pretty instable.

Yet the 3G standard (which covers everything between plain UMTS with 384 Kbit/s to DC-HSPA with up to 43,2 Mbit/s) is far from ubiquitously available as well.

regards, Chris

Oct 12, 2012 2:49 PM in response to Gary in Plano

Your phone is either defective or your sim card is bad. You can try resetting Network Settings, but I doubt that will change anything: Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings. If that doesn't work, go to an AT&T store & get a new sim. No change after that, go to an Apple store & get your phone replaced...backup first.

Ignore Burkert's posts.

Oct 12, 2012 3:09 PM in response to Christian A. Burkert

OK, I called AT&T and they do not have separate provisions in the same plan for LTE and 3G.

They’re both included.

They switched me to an I-Phone support person and he had me go into Settings > General>

Cellular and turn off the LTE slider switch. My display immediately changed from LTE to 4G (supposedly

This means it will also connect with 3G) and the internet will load. Evidently my phone is not

Defaulting to 3G when LTE is unavailable. He had me do a reset of my Network Settings so

Now I have to wait until I get out of my present LTE area and see if it defaults back correctly.

May be a day or so. More to follow.

Thank you for your help. I’ll post my results when I know more.

My I Phone 5 will not connect on 3G. Works fine on LTE or Wi Fi.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.