Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing files from an email attacment

This is the filp side of my previous question

How do i import an audio file attacment from an email into garageband?

Ios allows me to open with. ... Imovie... Dropbox.. Izip.. Ifiles.. Etc.. But not garageband.

What is the logic of allowing the audio attacment to be opened with imovie but not allow grageband to open it?

Is there a way this can be done without resorting to my desktop to share files through itunes?

Is ios really independent of a desktop? I dont quite get it...

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 2:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 9:05 PM

Hi there. I actually found this little gem of a trick by accident but try this.

1) open GarageBand, choose create a new song. Use the audio recorder instrument. Make the track as long as you want and then flip from the individual track view to the overall project view. Basically you'll have a picture of a microphone with just a long empty zone.

2) minimize but don't close GarageBand. Just keep it in the bottom. There is an audio recording app called DAW that I'm not too crazy about but has two great benefits. I believe it's still free. There are paid add one but you only need the bare bones app since you really won't use it. Lets pretend you have this app installed already.

3) I use the APP downloads HD quite a bit. Is basically a copy of the iPod but with more options. Not important though.

Any track you may want to import to GarageBand, and I mean literally anything, can be pumped into GB with no tedious sync or frustrating file searching. E mail whatever track or song you want in GB to yourself. Dropbox works great with this too as you can choose to open files located in Dropbox with other apps.

4) when your ong of choice is in your inbox or Dropbox or wherever, just long hold it to get that option asking where you want to open the file. Here's the magic. DAW is one of your choices. Select it.

5) this takes you right to the import section of DAW. It's literally fail safe. Under the imported file it will say import(copy) delete, and something else. I can't remember. Choose import.

6) any file that DAW imports will be converted to m4a and amazingly be copied to the general paste board.

7) now switch back to GarageBand and your empty track. Simply click on the empty track, select "paste", and presto, your song has been imported to GarageBand for you to tear apart or build what you will.

I hope I didn't confuse you. I tend to ramble. Feel free to e mail if you have questions.

Weapynx34@gmail.con

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2012 9:05 PM in response to AG007

Hi there. I actually found this little gem of a trick by accident but try this.

1) open GarageBand, choose create a new song. Use the audio recorder instrument. Make the track as long as you want and then flip from the individual track view to the overall project view. Basically you'll have a picture of a microphone with just a long empty zone.

2) minimize but don't close GarageBand. Just keep it in the bottom. There is an audio recording app called DAW that I'm not too crazy about but has two great benefits. I believe it's still free. There are paid add one but you only need the bare bones app since you really won't use it. Lets pretend you have this app installed already.

3) I use the APP downloads HD quite a bit. Is basically a copy of the iPod but with more options. Not important though.

Any track you may want to import to GarageBand, and I mean literally anything, can be pumped into GB with no tedious sync or frustrating file searching. E mail whatever track or song you want in GB to yourself. Dropbox works great with this too as you can choose to open files located in Dropbox with other apps.

4) when your ong of choice is in your inbox or Dropbox or wherever, just long hold it to get that option asking where you want to open the file. Here's the magic. DAW is one of your choices. Select it.

5) this takes you right to the import section of DAW. It's literally fail safe. Under the imported file it will say import(copy) delete, and something else. I can't remember. Choose import.

6) any file that DAW imports will be converted to m4a and amazingly be copied to the general paste board.

7) now switch back to GarageBand and your empty track. Simply click on the empty track, select "paste", and presto, your song has been imported to GarageBand for you to tear apart or build what you will.

I hope I didn't confuse you. I tend to ramble. Feel free to e mail if you have questions.

Weapynx34@gmail.con

Oct 17, 2012 9:49 PM in response to Weapyn X

Hello Weapyn

Thank u so much for your pointers...

It actually works.. I have also discovered that another app called musicstudio has the same clip/paste board ability and can be used to open files attached to an email and copied to itsclip board and the pasted in GB..

As much as these solutions are a life saver... Apples ommitance to allow audio email attacments to be opened with GB is baffling and crazy.... Yet they allow audio attacments to be opened in imovie! Very crazy.

I also cant fathom that there is no way to put a song i made in GB into my music liberary for it to be a part of my playlist just using an iphone or an ipad...mind boggeling.

To achieve this i have to export to itunes in ipad which creats an mp4 file hidden somewhere in GB ... sync with my desk top.. Where itunes dedktop magically sees this file in the spps section... Save the mp4 to my desk top... Import the saved fole in my itunes library on my desk top... Resync my iphone or ipad to have the song on my plsylist!

It is just absurd... The whole file managemt issue with ios is a mess..

I am ******** and moaning about this repetitively just for one reason... Hope apple gets to hear it and do something about it... Maybe if enough people also make their minds heard.

I have even writen tim cook and schiller..about this and every issue i find ridiculouse to not be addressed.

My biggest fear is that apple managment is beecoming too jaded and complacent with all the success they have had in the last few years....

I keep my fingers crossed i am wrong.

But time will prove

Apple are u listenng!!!!!

Oct 17, 2012 10:45 PM in response to AG007

I am ******** and moaning about this repetitively just for one reason... Hope apple gets to hear it and do something about it... Maybe if enough people also make their minds heard.

You are right, it is just mind-boggling that you need a mac to be able to exchange data between applications on your IOS device. But to make Apple hear you, tell them directly - there is no guarantee that Apple is listening in an User-to-User forum. Use the feedback forms on the "Support" page:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/garageband.html

Weapyn X: Great solution!

Oct 4, 2013 1:18 PM in response to AG007

Hello there Mr. bond, James Bond is it? lol well I know it has been a year since this post, but I wrote it and literally just got curious today if what I wrote even reached anyone in some shape or for. So I apologize for leaving your reply hanging for so long. I am usually not one to nit show any for of acknowledgement. But after reading your opinions on the ins and outs of the difficulties of trivial tasks for apple products, it's funny to see just which direction they gave gone on those various little annoyances lol an entertaining time capsule to say the least. Just as an FYI, I would give this product a look, I have it and it is nearly divine. If you have never heard of it here is a link. Being new to forum writing I am still not sure about what you can and can't say. So here's the link for it. Be well!

Travis

Weapyn X

Jul 4, 2014 10:56 AM in response to Weapyn X

Also having this problem now.... Have my m4a file ready to go in Dropbox but cannot for the life of me get it into GarageBand!

Have tried dragging, copying, 'open with...', the 'loops' function in GarageBand (which only has my 3 iTunes purchased tracks in 😟...)

furthermore those musicstudio & DAW are no longer free and the 'lite' versions of them seem to have the same copy/paste feature but it's still not finding my m4a file and I don't want to spend on them!

This is typical apple, it's such a simple wish but they make it impossible.

Importing files from an email attacment

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.