Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get my iphone 4S to output phone calls to my car stereo over USB?

I have a JVC KD-X40 stereo. Music and navigation audio outputs to the stereo but phone calls switch to the internal speakers. I don't see any reason to pay for a bluetooth handsfree system when the iphone speakerphone works great. Any ideas on how to get the phone call to come over the car stereo instead of through the tiny built in speakers of the phone?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

iPhone 4S, iOS 6

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 3:03 PM

3 replies

Oct 12, 2012 3:41 PM in response to bleejean

After reading this thread http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1311311
it seems that for some reason Apple does not allow the iphone to output phone calls through the dock connector. It can output through the headphone jack, internal speaker, or bluetooth but not through the dock connector. This is very inconvenient since it means you need to use a second cable or buy a bluetooth system unnecessarily. I can see why some people would not want phone calls to go out through the dock connector (on a home theater system or something) but it should at least be an option!

I love that my car stereo can control the music playback on the iphone (something it couldn't do if I used the AUX input) but I can't understand why the iphone would be purposely gimped so as not to be able to output calls as well. 😟 And since this missing functionality is not widely known, most people won't discover the problem until it is too late and they already purchased their iphone and stereo.

Oct 12, 2012 4:37 PM in response to spacemarine288

If you are trying to say that it is due to the dock connector being so old that this feature is not available, that doesn't really hold up. The iphone is clearly capable of outputting audio (including a phone call) through the dock connector but it can't because Apple has arbitrarily restricted it from doing so. This could be fixed through a software update.

And about not making calls when driving, I agree that it isn't ideal but it is commonplace and perfectly legal if done handsfree. It would be nice to be able to answer a call when driving when it is safe to do so and being able to hear the caller over the cars speaker and have them hear me through the iphones microphone.

The latest iOS added the ability to reply to incoming calls with a text message ("can't talk, driving" comes to mind as a usefull one) but you have to navigate through a few menus to send it and that would be more dangerous than simply hitting a button to activate a handsfree call.

How do I get my iphone 4S to output phone calls to my car stereo over USB?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.