Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printer not connected message

I recently upgraded to Mountain Lion, and since then I am unable to print--I get the message "Printer Not Connected". My printer is connected to my Airport Extreme router via Ethernet cable. When I go to system preferences, then network, the firewire and the ethernet choices are red--as in not connected or not working. When I go to advanced, after choosing ethernet, I clicked on Renew DHCP Lease, but this doesn't change anything. Any help would be appreciated, because I use my printer all the time. It is a Canon Pixma MG8120.

Also, my Airport utility is saying "No configured Airport base stations have been found. Airport Utility will continue searching."

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 4:13 PM

4 replies

Oct 12, 2012 6:03 PM in response to mv7899

This is a common complaint after upgrading from Snow Leopard systems.

Try this - reset your printing system as described here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1341

1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
  2. Choose Print & Scan from the View menu.
  3. Hold down the Option key while clicking the "-" (Remove printer) button. If no printers are currently added, hold down the Control key while clicking in the box that appears above the "+" (Add printer) button, then choose Reset printing system… from the contextual menu.

Then, add the Canon Pixma again using the "+" button.

What does Reset Printing System do?

• Deletes all queues and jobs.
  • Resets all printer settings to their default by deleting configuration files.
  • Performs a permissions check on the /tmp directory.

Any printers, scanners, or fax modems that previously appeared in System Preferences will need to be added again after resetting the printing system.

That should fix it.

Printer not connected message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.