Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Import PDF files via Dock icon drop method

I tried dropping a PDF onto Aperture's Dock icon so that the imported file could be configured to import each page in TIFF for example, but since having performed this operation once I find now that every subsequent time I import a PDF this way the options do not appear.

How do I get those import options back?

Thanks.

MacBook (13-inch Late 2007), Mac OS X (10.7.3), 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 5:21 PM

9 replies

Oct 27, 2012 3:37 PM in response to Hamper

Just to make sure I retried this again and no matter how many times I do dropping a multi page PDF on the Aperture icon opens the import PDF window. It even worked if Aperture was open ( which I didn't expect).

The only time I did not get the window is if the PDF is a single page, then the first (and only page) is rendered as an image.

You might try moving Aperture preference file out to the desktop and see if that makes a difference but I doubt it will.

Sorry I don;t have more,

regards

Oct 27, 2012 4:46 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

I tried this now on both my MBPs Intel Core i7 - both AP 3.4.1, both MacOS X 10.8.2.

On the older one, late 2011, I could get the open-dialog only by ctrl-click and "open with" when importing pdfs; on the newer one every pdf-import by dragging onto the Aperture icon brings up the import dialog, even for pdfs with only one page, no matter, if Aperture is running or not.

I cannot see any differences in the Aperture settings on both machines - very puzzling.

Oct 28, 2012 9:30 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

It's okay, I figured it out, the problem way my end. I thought that if it wasn't a problem with Aperture then it must be a problem with the file(s), it was. I was using some old software which came with my CanoScan scanner (v5.0.1.4) and found that it didn't create PDFs as Aperture would like, not sure how the spec might have changed between 1998-2009 (when the software was produced) but something must have.

Anyway, I found this out by opening the PDF in Preview and making a "Duplicate" of it (OS X "Lion" here) and then importing that (via dropping the PDF file on Aperture's Dock icon) and it worked, so it was the fault of the scanning software all along.

Thanks for everybody's help, I have reported this to Apple.

Import PDF files via Dock icon drop method

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.