Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes TV show Season Pass is NOT downloading newly available episodes

Problem: iTunes TV show Season Pass is NOT downloading newly available episodes even though new content is fully available on iTunes Store for purchase as single episodes

I purchased Season 4 of The Vampire Diaries on Thursday 10/11. The 1st episode, called "Growing Pains," aired on the evening of Thursday 10/11 and has been available since approx. 2 am EST Friday 10/12 for purchase/download on the iTunes Store, but it is NOT automatically downloading to my iTunes account even though I repeatedly click "Check for Available Downloads." The button to purchase the single episode in the iTunes Store is activated, meaning anyone can purchase that individual episode for $2.99, but I paid for the whole Season Pass and I can't retrieve this single episode.

My iTunes is NOT recognizing that there is an Episode 1 available for download. I rebooted my Mac, restarted iTunes, logged into the iTunes store to click on "Purchased" content and try to force a download, all to no avail -- the screen listing the episodes available for download under my Purchased account fails to list Episode 1 of this TV show. It as though this Episode is invisible to my iTunes account/download queue. Yet, Episode 1 is sitting on the iTunes Store server and has been there for the past day.

I have clearly identified this problem to Apple Customer Service and they did not seem to intially understand my problem. They told me that it takes a few days for TV networks to make an episode available to the iTunes store, and therefore I should wait for a few days -- this totally misses the issue! The premiere episode has already been provided by the TV network to iTunes, and is available now on the iTunes Store. The problem is a technological server-side one, where for some reason my iTunes download queue is not picking up on the fact that there is new, pre-paid content available for download.

Please help if you experienced similar issues with your Season Pass. I bought a Season Pass for last year and it worked without any problems -- all episodes aired on Thursday nights and were downloaded by 2 or 3 am Friday morning. I am thinking of cancelling/refunding the Season Pass, and just paying for Hulu+ instead of waiting around hoping for Customer Service to finally read my email and DO something instead of telling me to "wait a few days."

Below is my email thread with Customer Service. I can't believe there is no longer phone support to talk to a live person, who should be able to reset my download queue -- or do something on the server-side -- easily.

*Just a girl, in front of the TV after she cut off cable, waiting for her favorite show that she paid for to download.

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 4:18 PM, iTunes Store <iTunesStoreSupport@apple.com> wrote:
Hello [ ],

I apologized for any inconvenience this issue has caused. I reviewed your account and it appears that episode is not yet posted on your account. This is the reason why it has not automatically downloaded on your account. With that being said, please try to wait for a few days or try to download the episode using iTunes in the Cloud feature. Your patience in this matter is greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,

[ ]
iTunes Store/Mac App Store Customer Support
http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/ww/

Please Note: I work T-S, 6-3PM CT. Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

Thanks. The problem is, this Episode "Growing Pains" IS already available
on iTunes for individual purchase for $2.99, and has been available since 2
am EST last night. The issue isn't its availability from the TV network --
it's the Season Pass queue for downloads not recognizing that this episode
should be downloaded.

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 3:09 PM, iTunes Store
<iTunesStoreSupport@apple.com>wrote:

> Hello [ ],
>
> Thanks for your reply. I see now that you are unable to download "Growing
> Pains" which is supposed to be included on your season pass "The Vampire
> Diaries, Season 4".
>
> Generally, the television networks provide Apple with the latest episode
> of each show within 24 hours of the original air time. Occasionally, there
> can be a delay. I recommend to please wait for a few days.
>
> You can rest assured that Apple is working to make this episode available
> on the iTunes Store as soon as possible.
>
> Thank you for your patience. Apple appreciates your business and loyalty.
>

> Sincerely,
>
> [ ]
> iTunes Store/Mac App Store Customer Support
> http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/ww/
>
> Please Note: I work T-S, 6-3PM CT.
> Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 7:03 PM

25 replies

Apr 6, 2017 10:04 AM in response to LawGirl2009

I am having this problem for Season 2 of the Expanse. It shows that Episode 11 is available for purchase on the season page, but I already have a Season Pass.

Why is it wanting me to pay again when I've already paid for the entire season?

I have checked available downloads and it says there are none available. Has Apple looked into this yet?

Edit: And as soon as I post this... it is available.

Jan 21, 2013 7:13 PM in response to LawGirl2009

LawGirl2009: You are a goddess. Thank you for taking the time to write such a cogently phrased, beautifully formatted, and discursively delightful message. Also, you told it like it is. I was having the same problem with Season 3 Episode 4 of that little-viewed PBS series (distributed in the UK last year, new to us State-side this year). Truly, no one seems to break that silly TLDR acronym these days (Too Long Didn't Read). Thank you for making the effort. I have a friend who is the lead on distribution at HULU so . . . . yeah, a loyal apple user since the very first little MacBox in the early 80's salutes you. I hope you found a work around with a real human being or got your money back and went to HULU. I am presently pursuing my fourth workaround attempt and it seems to be finally downloading. Let us pray for human-to-human contact not mediated by outsourced hardware construction or service processing. Oh, apple have you gotten too big for your multi-national britches? Happy MLKjr day everyone.

Apr 30, 2013 10:34 PM in response to ocarlsen

I also have this same problem though only with Mad Men Season 6.

I ended up deauthorizing all the computers and then reauthorized my one computer. I only have one computer and am a little concerned how 5 ended up authorized.

Apple was no help with this. The first time I contacted them, they merely added the missing episode to my iTunes and the second time, they never responded!

May 4, 2013 2:18 AM in response to ocarlsen

Thank you SO so much for that helpful advice. I'd been waiting two days for my ep and checking for available dwnlds, but after reading this, I went to the supernatural section on itunes and was able to download it, so thank you so much! I hadn't know about this.

You were MUCH more helpful than the support person I emailed. I'm pretty sure it was another case of TLDR (even if it was only a few sentences!), cuz he told me to do what I already told him I did, which was check for available downloads from the menu. Absolutely, freakin' useless. orz

May 15, 2013 7:40 AM in response to LawGirl2009

I know there is a work-around by going to the store and downloading the missing episode, but the original problem is still there...I get an email saying an episode is available, but when I check for available downloads, I am told everything for my account has been downloaded. Come on, Apple, get this addressed and fixed if you want me to buy season passes!

May 17, 2013 7:30 PM in response to LawGirl2009

I am also having this issue with Vampire Diaries. But I've only had it for the last 3 episodes. It doesn't work for me to go to the Store and select the missing episode and just download it from there. When I do that I get the prompt "You have already purchased this. Would you like to purchase it again?"

When I click on the link in the notification email I get "Unable to process your request"

Jun 11, 2013 3:46 AM in response to LawGirl2009

Hi,

I'm having the same problem on Windows and Mac, neither automatically download episodes from any of my season passes, nor do they find it when I select "Check for available downloads," it informs me all episodes have been downloaded for my Apple ID, which in fact they have not.

I have to find the episode in my Library(which shows all available episodes on my computer and in the iTunes Store) and from there I have to manually click to download. I tried deauthorizing all my computers and reauthorizing just one computer, and that didn't work either. I also deleted my other device(iPad) from the "iTunes in the Cloud" just in case there was some issue associated with that, and that didn't work either.

It’s sad that the iTunes rep didn't really "listen" to what you said. I find this happens at many other companies too. They often are trying to fit your problem into some prepared script or solution, or they are distracted or in a hurry and don't actually read or listen fully to an even well defined account of the problem.

Best of luck to us all! Hope they fixed it soon.

Jul 15, 2013 7:03 AM in response to LawGirl2009

I have the same problem. Have season passes to a few shows. Never had problems downloading them - iTunes just had a pop up with available episodes.

Since a few months they don't show up in available downloads anymore - and I have to download them via "Purchased".

Hope there will be a fix.

And my experiences with Apple mail support are the same as yours. They give the first answer on their keyword checklist. End the email with some "Apple appreciates" blabla and usually the answer is not even closely related to the question asked.

iTunes TV show Season Pass is NOT downloading newly available episodes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.