Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

confused between messaging on iPhone versus MacBook Air - they are different, right?

I am new to Apple products. I just purchased a MacBook Air and an iPhone 4. I am a registered iCloud user. I have been messaging amongst friends on my iPhone to their phones (not iPhones). The contact information is just their cell phone number. But when I try messaging on my MacBook Air, I get the message "Your message could not be sent. 3151234567 is not registered with iMessage." What...??? Is iMessage on a MacBook Air a different application than message is on an iPhone 4? Why? I thought would be the same and could be synchronized.... Am I missing something here...??? Help...

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 6:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 7:26 PM

No, you're not missing anything. Your phone can text to anybody. Your Mac can text to other iCloud capable macs or iPhones or iPads, but not to non-apple users. At least that's my understanding. So your texting will work when every human on the planet buys only apple devices. Hope this clarifies the situation.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2012 7:26 PM in response to crazylegsoz

No, you're not missing anything. Your phone can text to anybody. Your Mac can text to other iCloud capable macs or iPhones or iPads, but not to non-apple users. At least that's my understanding. So your texting will work when every human on the planet buys only apple devices. Hope this clarifies the situation.

Oct 14, 2012 1:59 PM in response to babowa

Hi,

Messages is the Mountain Lion version of iChat.

It is in fact iChat+

Historically iChat was an AIM Only App, recognising some Apple IDs issued by Apple as Valid Screen Names. (@mac.com at the time)

Later Jabber abilities were added (includes GoogleTalk and Facebook IDs)

Then Apple changed to MobileMe (@me.com) then iCloud (Again @me.com)

In iChat 6 the ability to use Yahoo names to text Chat only was added.

Messages added the Apple iMessages service to the app and changed the name.

The iPhone version can use the iPhone or the "registered" Apple ID to send iMessages to iPhone or other iOS devices or the Messages app on the Mac

These can also be synced between devices using the same Apple ID.

The iPhone will detect when the recipient is not an iMessages user and send it as SMS (Or MMS which send pics and files).

Once you have iOS 6 and OS X 10.8.2 installed then the Mac Version can use the iPhone Number as an Alias.

User uploaded file
9:59 PM Sunday; October 14, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Oct 14, 2012 3:30 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Once you have iOS 6 and OS X 10.8.2 installed then the Mac Version can use the iPhone Number as an Alias.

Thanks; as you know I've not used iChat, but am wondering - to learn something here myself - I have Mountain Lion installed and iOS6 on my iPad, but cannot find anything relating to a phone number (I don't have an iPhone or any other smart phone, only a regular cell phone without internet access).

Not that I'd ever use it, but would I (or the recipient) need an iPhone in order to "text" or send a message from my iMac?

Oct 15, 2012 11:21 AM in response to babowa

Hi Babowa,

The answer is a yes and a no.

The iMessages side can only send to Apple iPhone (numbers) or an Apple iOS device (Apple ID) or to Macs that are using Messages and have registered and Apple ID with iMessages.

However there is a holdover from the iChat days.

This using an Phone Number as a Buddy Name using an AIM Account.

There are a couple of codicils to this.

1) The Mac must be set as if it in the Untied States.

2) The Phone must be in the United States AND on a carrier that supports the AIM SMS forwarding

(the Link also deals with setting it up so IMs go to your Phone).

You then add the Phone number to the AIM Buddy List as if it were a Buddy but with a leading +1 as in +121324567890

In versions up to iChat 5 setting the region in System Preferences > Language and Text (or just Language in yet earlier versions) allows you to see the SMS menu items in iChat (Buddies Menu mainly).

In iChat 6 and Messages the SMS items have disappeared although the function still exists.

It would seem logical that, like the iPhone, the Messages app would swap to sending SMS when the receiver is not an iOS 56 or greater iPhone but this does not happen.

Aside

Strangely both my iPhones have stopped being activated for iMessages.

I noticed first that my Mac's Message App was not listing the phone number of one.

When I went through the process of Activation it spun the cogwheel forever and then showed the phone Number greyed out (I can't select it as Send From).

I checked my other iPhone and had to re-activate that and it has been at "Waiting for Activation" for ages (At least 30 mins).

User uploaded file
7:21 PM Monday; October 15, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Oct 15, 2012 2:41 PM in response to babowa

No Problem.

User uploaded file
10:41 PM Monday; October 15, 2012

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Oct 21, 2012 11:23 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

User uploaded file For the points User uploaded file

User uploaded file
7:22 PM Sunday; October 21, 2012

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Nov 29, 2012 2:44 PM in response to Jim_ Crawford

Hi Jim,

I tend to work with the Buddy lists showing.

i.e. any Non iMessages Account in the Accounts part of the Messages preferences will form a Buddy List.

However the default is to display them as a combined List (Window Menu > Buddies (CMD + 1) )

This can be "corrected" in the General Section of the Preferences by unticking the line about gathering them together.

Providing the Video Chat Enabled and Audio Chat Enabled in the Video Menu are ON (Ticked) and the View Menu has the Show items On the Buddy list will appear the same as iChat did complete with Green icons for Video and Audio able Buddies.

It is possible from the Window menu itself.

Either type in the "To" spot of start New Message and then use the Blue icon and Select a Buddy (you can also use the Contacts option and select their AIM or Jabber details afterwards.

Once you have the person using the correct ID/Service name in the "To" spot you do have to text them first.

Once you have done that the Video icon appears top right and will start an "iChat Style" Chat.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file
9:56 PM Thursday; November 29, 2012

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Nov 30, 2012 11:42 AM in response to Jim_ Crawford

No problem.

User uploaded file
7:42 PM Friday; November 30, 2012

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

confused between messaging on iPhone versus MacBook Air - they are different, right?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.