Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A bug in Apple Mail Viewer Window related to message area?

When I drag a message from a search results list from one Viewer Window to another, the "source" Viewer Window suddenly displays a grey area.

- there was no "message area" set before (while the search was running, or during typing into the Search box),

- this region can not be removed (like the "intact" message area showing a single message) by dragging the border,

- and also it can not be removed by a double-click.

To reproduce, one needs to have two Viewer Windows open (which I personally always have). I get this disturbing "grey area" usually with messages in the upper Viewer Window, but for creating the picture below I triggered the problem in the trash and removed the messages.

The "grey area" can be removed by simple resizing the window, but still it is disturbing.

I am using 10.8.2 with supplement.

I wonder if others have seen the same problem?

A bug?

User uploaded file

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 9:24 PM

5 replies

Apr 21, 2013 6:13 AM in response to Imp68

Hhmmm - what can I do to help you to reproduce?

Obviously, I can not exclude that there are content-related components that "trigger" the problem, or special settings. But for me the problem (the bug) is reproducible over three different Macs. All three use identical and quite large IMAP accounts (with in total more than 1000 boxes), and the Prefs are also set identically.

On the other hand:

The problem "Mail.app quits unexpectedly upon quit" was also not ackowledged as a bug. But this bug is gone with the new (6.3 in 10.8.3) version of Mail.app.

A bug in Apple Mail Viewer Window related to message area?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.