Skip navigation

Display issue coming out of sleep (w/ external display)

1326 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Dec 4, 2013 6:03 AM by Paul Litherland RSS
w00fa Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Oct 13, 2012 12:27 AM

Hey everyone,

I've a MacBook Pro with Retina display. running 10.8.2 (and Win7 x64, via Bootcamp).

I somtimes experience trouble coming out of sleep with no external display connected, if the MacBook was connected to an external display when I sent it to sleep and the integrated display's brightness was turned all the way down. Basically, the MacBook's integrated display won't light up. I then need to hold down the power button until the machine powers off, and start it up again. Only then will the display come on, and the machine start normally.

I've been observing this with both an external Thunderbolt Display, and a TV connected through the HDMI port. I don't think this is a Mac OS issue, as I've seen similar behavior on this same machine, running Windows, under Bootcamp.

An example scenario: I'll be using the Thunderbolt Display, or watching a movie on my TV, with the integrated display's brightness turned all the way down, and then, while the display is still connected, I will close the lid - The machine will go to sleep. I will then come the next day, and while the computer is asleep, disconnect the external display, and open the lid. The MacBook's integrated display will not light up, the brightness keys will not respond, and I will need to force-shutdown the machine, and start it again - it will then start up, and usually fall back to the lowest display resolution setting (even though I always use much higher resolutions on both the integrated and external displays).

I'm guessing this is happening because the computer is expecting the external display that was connected to it, during its last operation, to still be available, and when it's not - it panics!

Also, I had times where this happened, and a force-shutdown would not do the trick. I had to actually connect back to the external display, wait for the machine to start normally, take the integrated display's brightness back up, and disconnect the external display. The machine would then resume normal operation, and I would be able to disconnect the external display and work on the integrated display.

Has anyone else experienced this, or anything similar?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)
  • clintonfrombirmingham Level 7 Level 7 (26,675 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 13, 2012 12:39 AM (in response to w00fa)

I don't have a Retina display - but I do have a Thunderbolt Display. I've never encountered the problem that you describe - while at my desk, I generally run in clamshell mode. You might want to continue your post here but also try posting in the Apple Thunderbolt Display community.

Clinton

The next time that this happens, note the time and open Console (Applications>Utilities) to see if any error messages are popping up.

Clinton

You can always go to Terminal to check login times:

Last login: Fri Oct 12 15:34:27 on console

server:clintondyches clintondyches$

Last login: Fri Oct 12 22:36:33 on console

server:clintondyches clintondyches$

for example.

And you can always just check your system log in Console to see if any problems were reported.

Clinton

OK, I see that some processes failed, but I'm going to wait for Linc Davis or "ds store" to show up - they're both good at deciphering console logs (which is not my strong suit!). Maybe they will see something that's causing the error.

Bump!

Clinton

I will when I see them show up! Might be sleeping still...

Clinton

• jtbandes Calculating status...

I'm having the same issue — I've taken to sleeping my computer manually and leaving the lid open. I'd love to find a solution to this!

• Dieter Gloeckner Calculating status...

I have the same issue. Lid is closed and MacBookPro is going to sleep. After a while i move the mouse or use keyboard, but nothing happend. If i plug out and in the thunderbolt display it works. This is since i installed Mavericks. Any solution ?

• Paul Litherland Calculating status...

Same issue, although I'm not even closing the lid of the Macbook Pro 6,2, and I notice that on next boot up, usually forced, that the screen temporarily shows a Wide screen format (i.e. with black bands top and bottom) before switching to a normal full display. That didn't happen before. I deleted display preferences and window server preferences, but the issue remains, as well as the crash from sleep when attached to an hdmi television.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.