Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

stop mail including headers on forward

I have the latest version of Mountain Lion. While this was not happening after the upgrade, at somepoint along the way something changed--by me or by Apple update. I want to change it back.

Details: When I forward mail, Mail includes the full email header at the top of the email content. Not just From and To and what was there in the past, but *all* the headers including Content-Type,Content-Transfer, Message-ID,X-Mailer,Mime-Version, all the Delivered-To, Recived, ... everything! It it put at the top of the email. Using classic or the "new" view makes no difference. Happens whether or not "details" are shown when viewing the mail in the pane. Does not happen when "reply" to email. Just with "forward".

How to turn this feature off? I do not want to include headers like this. I've checked all the Preferences and Menus and cannot find anything which controls this behaviour. If there, it's hiding in plain sight for me. I don't recall turning it on. This happens whether the "details" are "on" or "off" when viewing the original mail.

Help.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Oct 13, 2012 1:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2012 1:17 AM

I found the solution on another post (not found before I sent the above).

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4158729?answerId=19286015022#19286015022

Preferences -> Viewing -> Show Header Detail. Set it to Default.Mine was originally set to Full, and it wouldn't make any difference when viewing received messages, but it was creating all this extra stuff when forwarding. Once it is set to Default, forwarded messages have traditional small header.

I must have changed it; changing back worked.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2012 1:17 AM in response to rmschne

I found the solution on another post (not found before I sent the above).

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4158729?answerId=19286015022#19286015022

Preferences -> Viewing -> Show Header Detail. Set it to Default.Mine was originally set to Full, and it wouldn't make any difference when viewing received messages, but it was creating all this extra stuff when forwarding. Once it is set to Default, forwarded messages have traditional small header.

I must have changed it; changing back worked.

stop mail including headers on forward

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.