Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

From-> Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L30) To-> OS X Mountain Lion

Hey i have a problem with my Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L30) because i want to upgrade it to OS X Mountain Lion... so i got to have the apple app store but i don't have the app store and i dont have any cd's or higher/lower operating systems so . how can i ever upgrade my ac to os x mountain lion?

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Oct 13, 2012 12:25 AM

10 replies

Oct 13, 2012 12:53 AM in response to basdv98

You can't upgrade in the sense of installing ML over the top of Leopard, but you can wipe your internal disk and install ML as a fresh OS, so long as your computer meets the system requirements. See my post here for a list of supported machines and a link to the tech specs.

http://applehelpwriter.wordpress.com/2012/08/03/will-mountain-lion-work-on-my-ol d-mac/

If you meet the requirements, the next step is to get hold of the ML installer. Before thinking about that, make a clone of your current OS on an external disk for safe-keeping in case anything goes wrong. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to do that.

The easiest option to get the installer might be to contact your nearest Apple store and see if they will install it for you. If they won't, the only other way I can think of is to log into the App store using your AppleID from another Mac (perhaps a friends'?) that is running 10.6.8 or later, and to download the installer and save it to disk. You'd then need to make a USB or DVD installer from that, by following the instructions here:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/how-to-create-a-bootable-backup-mountain-li on-install-disk/

Take the installer back to your own mac, boot from it, wipe your internal OS (remember: make a backup clone before doing this) and click 'Install'.

(ToU Disclaimer: links to my website contain other links which promote my services as a technical writer)

From-> Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L30) To-> OS X Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.