Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I correctly go about syncing my iPod touch to a new library?

Hi, I have a 3rd generation iPod Touch. Back in 2009, I synced it up to a pretty old computer. At the time, the newest version of iTunes worked perfectly on it. But since a few months after that, my computer was not able to support the most current version of iTunes available at the time. After a while of trial and error, I gave up on syncing my iPod Touch to the computer. But now, I have ordered a 5th generation iPod touch, and would like to transfer what was on my old iPod, to it. I do have a different (and newer) computer that I am now wanting to sync up both iPods to, so they could share information. I'm thinking I need to re-sync my old iPod to my old computer and transfer all the new apps, songs, and what not. But I'm not sure what to exactly do after that. If syncing to a new library only erases songs and video, I could put them on a USB and download them to my new computer. So when I sync my old iPod to the new computer, the erased data would be already there. And I could just re- download it. The main problem with my theory is, I'm not sure what syncing to a new library actually does to an iPod Touch, or any iPod for that matter. I've been anxious about this, since my iPod Touch is very important to me. I've been using it almost everyday since I first received it. Any help on this would would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!! 🙂 🙂

-Becca

iPod touch

Posted on Oct 13, 2012 1:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2012 1:27 AM

I tried to sync my iPod to my laptop because i was on holidays and found out i needed to download all of the apps that were on my iPod into to the AppStore before i plugged my iPod into it otherwise when you sync it, it will copy what apps are on the computer/laptop AppStore (if there arent any it wll erase all of the apps on your iPod) so just simply download all of the apps that are on your iPod on to your computer and then sync it but remember to set up a backup! (i dont know how to set up a backup so dont ask me) Good Luck 🙂!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2012 1:27 AM in response to Becca Turner

I tried to sync my iPod to my laptop because i was on holidays and found out i needed to download all of the apps that were on my iPod into to the AppStore before i plugged my iPod into it otherwise when you sync it, it will copy what apps are on the computer/laptop AppStore (if there arent any it wll erase all of the apps on your iPod) so just simply download all of the apps that are on your iPod on to your computer and then sync it but remember to set up a backup! (i dont know how to set up a backup so dont ask me) Good Luck 🙂!

How do I correctly go about syncing my iPod touch to a new library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.