Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

the software update server is not responding

i reacently got a macbook second hand from a friend.. its running Mac OS X 10.7.4 and wanted to check if there were any updates.. i went to software update and pressed check for updates. after a while it came up with a error message reading: the software update server is not responding.

please help people!!

P.S im a mac noob so wood really apreciate any help i can get! 🙂

MacBook

Posted on Oct 13, 2012 3:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2012 6:49 AM

Are you connected to the Internet? If you are it sounds like a problem at Apple's end. Occasionally this happens. Wait a few hours and try again.

Best of luck.

7 replies

Oct 13, 2012 7:28 PM in response to thespasticgremlin

If you have the software install disk(s) that should have come with the machine you can reinstall the operating system. I don't understand why you can't manually download updates from Apple's web page, though. Go there, get the installer files and then run the installers.

The other thing you can (and probably should) do is set the computer to use Apple's servers for the software update. Yours is set to use some other site. Change it by going to the following location - Your hard drive > Library > Preferences and look for a file called com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist and delete it. This will set where it looks for updates back to default, i. e. on Apple's servers.

the software update server is not responding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.