Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

15" cMBP 2011 vs 15" cMBP 2012 heat opinions

I have been searching the web for weeks and have not been able to find my answer. Mostly when I search for 2011 vs 2012 MBP information and overheating I get tons of information on the rMBP.

I have owned and sold multiple iPads and owned and have gotten stolen multiple iPods. I am unimpressed with windows 8 and am ready to jump into the Macworld.

My budget is about $1500, and I really would prefer a 15". So I am shopping primarily from the refurb store as I have heard good reviews.

I have narrowed Down to 3 options

15" late 2011 MBP 2.2 $1329

15" June 2012 MBP 2.3 $1529

13" June 2012 MBP 2.5 $1199 (new)

Although macs are not for gaming, I occasionally play sc2 in the evenings, it is the only game I would play and I would be happy with medium settings, my primary concern would be running the game col as to not cause long term damage from the heat overtime. Does anyone have any perspective on aging this game on any of the above laptops? Obviously IVB and Keplar are cooler in the 2012, but does it make a big enough difference for my modest needs? I have read horror stories of the 2011 model getting to 70 C when simply streaming or using Netflix, is this true? or fixed in the updated model. I am really ready to purchase , just need some advice from a day in day out Mac owner and not a tech/blog website...thanks in advance for the tips!!!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 13, 2012 5:51 AM

There are no replies.

15" cMBP 2011 vs 15" cMBP 2012 heat opinions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.