Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

overexposed video

I was at a wedding and took video where there was a brightly lit window behind my subjects. It wasn't until further into my shots I realized I had forgotten to put on the exposure adjuster for such an occasion.

If my camcorder can adjust the exposure while recording, I'd assume FCPX could do it post-recording.

Can you tell me how to make it so my subjects aren't so dark with a bright window behind them?

Thanks

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 13, 2012 6:32 AM

9 replies

Oct 13, 2012 8:50 AM in response to kahlua021997

You should be able to get very good results with FCP's Color Correction.

It's basically a two step process: 1) a primary correction to get the color balance you're happy with; 2) a secondary to selectively correct exposure problems – using masks (to isolate areas) and keyframes to animate the masks to track the subjects' movement.

I think you'll find the masks don't have to be all that exact – nor do the keyframes – to be effective.

If you've had some experience using the color board and key framing, it should not be very time-consuming either.

But if you aren't familiar with that part of FCP, post back; there are many people here who explain it in detail.

Good luck.

Russ

Oct 13, 2012 3:45 PM in response to kahlua021997

To balance the room a little better, in FCPX, the first thing I would do in the Color Board is create a Color Mask of the lighted vertical blind region -- click and drag out a little in the lighted area (you get feedback about the region being masked) then holding down the shift key, click in other areas of the same type of region until the mask is as filled as you can get it without overflowing into the "interior".

Click the > to go into the corrections click Outside Mask

Starting with Exposure, I set:

Global -4

Shadows -2

Midtones 36

Highlights 0

Saturation:

Global 9%

Color:

Global 60° -4% [reduce incandescence]

User uploaded file

[The JPEG compression makes this image a little difficult to work with as an example]

After this stage, I would add another Color Correction and go after the entire scene... if necessary (or even if *possible*.)

PS - I added a deinterlace filter to the original photo.

overexposed video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.