Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto does not display photos any more

I have the problem that - what ever reason !?!?! - I do not see the photo in iPhoto any more.

I see the Thumbnails, the Preview - even when I zoom in I see the small overview but the photo itself is not displayed!

When I use the Mouse to slide to the next photo - I CAN SEE the photos.

Also face recognition is running.

I repaired Access rights - died some reboots ...

Any ideas?

I have about 70.000 photos in the Library that is abut 400 GB large.

Thanks for helping me!

Regards

markus

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Oct 13, 2012 6:46 AM

4 replies

Oct 13, 2012 7:41 AM in response to markusruebe

There are several possible causes for the Black Screen issue

1. Permissions in the Library: Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Include the option to check and repair permissions.

2. Minor Database corruption: Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild.

3. A Damaged Photo: Select one of the affected photos in the iPhoto Window and right click on it. From the resulting menu select 'Show File (or 'Show Original File' if that's available). (On iPhoto 11 this option is under the File -> Reveal in Finder.) Will the file open in Preview? If not then the file is damaged. Time to restore from your back up.

4. A corrupted iPhoto Cache: Trash the com.apple.iPhoto folder from HD/Users/Your Name/Library/ Caches...

5. A corrupted preference file: Trash the com.apple.iPhoto.plist file from the HD/Users/ Your Name / library / preferences folder. (Remember you'll need to reset your User options afterwards. These include minor settings like the window colour and so on. Note: If you've moved your library you'll need to point iPhoto at it again.)

If none of these help:

As a Test:

Hold down the option (or alt) key key and launch iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Create Library'

Import a few pics into this new, blank library. Is the Problem repeated there?

iphoto does not display photos any more

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.