3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2012 11:56 AM by baltwo
Achim Schroeer Level 1 Level 1


Since a larger update (Lion 10.7.5 on my Mac-Mini) including parts of OS X itself and iTunes 10.7 I think I have access problems.

I observe the following behavior:


* iTunes:

Every time I start iTunes I have to accept the license agreement again.


* Mail:

When I open the preferences page and then press the red “close” button an error window pops up that states something like “Error storing preferences” (I have a german language OS), probably wrong access rights in ~/Library/Preferences“.


* When moving files from one folder to the other (using the finder) in my home directory tree the systems copies instead of moving ( unix mv ).


* I cannot install the “adblock plus” add-on in Firefox (also because of wrong access rights in the profile folder).


* StandBy does not work any more.


I tried already the following remedies all without success:


* I repaired the access rights using disk-utility. But I think that changes nothing, cause it seems to repair the same errors each time I start it.


* I also reset the access rights of my home folder using “resetpassword” after restart also without any change in the wrong behavior.


* I used applejack.


I'm stuck!

Mac mini (Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5)
Reply by baltwo on Oct 13, 2012 4:29 PM Helpful

Step one is to create a new admin user account, log into it, and see if the problem persists.

All replies

  • baltwo Level 9 Level 9

    Step one is to create a new admin user account, log into it, and see if the problem persists.

  • Achim Schroeer Level 1 Level 1


    thanks for the hint. It did not solve my problem, but it gave me an idea of the cause.


    I think, user "system" or "admin" was missing to have rw-access in the home dir, in detail:


    The newly created user, although of being an admin, had no rights. He could not start mail and system preferences. So I looked at the access rights in his home directory and realized that "system" has read/write access.

    The existing user with my access rights problem had no user "system".

    I tried to add "system" but failed. So I added the user "administrators/admin" to the list of users having read/write access in the home directory.

    This solved the problem.

    Someone (maybe me) must have deleted it before.


    Thanks again.



  • baltwo Level 9 Level 9

    thumbsup.gif   Glad you worked things out. Good computing.