Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to start MAC OS from external drive

Hi

I have a WD 500 GB external FireWire harddisk. I'm using the FireWire 800 connection.

I have installed a completely fresh Snow Leopard OS on this drive, but am unable to boot from it.

Steps I took:

1. Erased the external HDD and created one 500 GB partition Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with GUID partition table.

2. Rebooted from the OS Installation DVD and installed Snow Leopard on the external drive.

3. After installation has finished, it asked to restart the computer, but it started with the internal HDD instead of the external one.

4. I have rebooted again and pressed Option to choose the external HDD. But it was not listed at all. I only could boot with the DVD or the internal HDD.

5. I tried repairing the external HDD - the drive appeared to be Ok.

6. I tried restarting with it by choosing it in the Startup Drive Menu - didn't help, it boots up from the internal HDD no matter what.

Please help! Thanks.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 13, 2012 9:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2012 10:09 AM

Some WD externals won't boot Macs.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1787

5 replies

Oct 13, 2012 2:44 PM in response to danas_blia

Connected it through USB and BAM!!! It works. Although I'm half happy, cause USB is slower, but on the other hand I only need it temporary, so it's Ok for me.

baltwo wrote:

Sad, although it might be, WD externals are crapola. Return it and get one where the manufacturer supports booting Macs.

Actually it was written "For Mac" on the box. I suppose they didn't test FireWire... Though I like WD - they prooved to be reliable so far...

Unable to start MAC OS from external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.