Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the black bar on the back and the top of the iPod 5th generation? Im going to get one for Christmas, and I want to know as much as I can before I get one. Thanks :)

Please help me. Also I would like an opinon on something. When I order it off here im not sure what color to get. Im stuck between blue and red. Please tell me what you think. Have a nice day! 🙂

iPod touch, iOS 3.0

Posted on Oct 13, 2012 9:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2012 9:12 AM

the black bar on the back is to let in the wifi signal , since wifi cant passs through metal eaily , its basically an infared attenna

14 replies

Oct 14, 2012 7:05 AM in response to Puppy Lover

Hello,

How exciting to be getting the new iPod Touch 5th Generation.

The black bar on the back of the ipod touch 5th generation is where the WiFi antenna is. (as Leonj2932 pointed out) But it is also where the Bluetooth and Nike+ transmitters and receivers are. You are correct, the 4th gen did not have this black bar, and I am not sure about the details, but this is an upgrade, it may be that all the signals will be better on the 5th gen.

As for the color, I couldn't tell you which one to get, because its all a matter of preference, whichever one you see works best for you. Maybe one that better matches your room color.

Have fun with your new device!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~Lt. Leviathan

Nov 5, 2013 5:37 PM in response to Puppy Lover

In this forum is where I first learned that that black bar is the antenna. I've had a plastic and rubber case over it for a long time and I can't tell if it effects the signal. I could tell when I first got the 5 it had better reception than my 4. And the purple dot on the front of the 4. That's the light sensor. The 5 lacks this. So you won't have the auto brightness on the 5 or see the purple dot on it. The color, I personally got black because it's more neutral of a color and I think it looks good. The color is completely up to you though. I hope this helps!

Oct 24, 2015 9:09 AM in response to Squingelz

You may notice a change in the signal strength, especially if you have a large or thick case. I use a thin case and my signal strength is great there's basically no difference, but I've seen some friends' iPod touchs and iPhones with thick cases (such as the Otter box) and their connection is somewhat slower. It's completely your choice, you either sacrifice safety for signal strength or vice versa.

Nov 28, 2015 11:10 AM in response to Puppy Lover

This is not an answer to the question, as I believe the question was already answered, but you should get the iPod 6th generation since that already came out AND it's the same price! It has a few improvements from the 5th generation, including 1 GB RAM instead of the 5th generations's 512 MB RAM. It is also available in 128 GB storage.

Refer to this link to compare the 5th and 6th generations: http://www.gizmag.com/ipod-touch-6g-vs-5g/38521/

So yeah, my advice is to get the 6th generation instead of the 5th, unless maybe for some reason you'd rather have the 5th. That's your choice!

Nov 28, 2015 12:30 PM in response to ArsadFTW

ArsadFTW wrote:

So yeah, my advice is to get the 6th generation instead of the 5th, unless maybe for some reason you'd rather have the 5th. That's your choice!

I'm guessing that Puppy Lover's reason for wanting a 5th generation Touch is because the 6th generation Touch wasn't available until July 2015. Look at the date of the original post - one day after the 5th generation was released.

What is the black bar on the back and the top of the iPod 5th generation? Im going to get one for Christmas, and I want to know as much as I can before I get one. Thanks :)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.