Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Hardware Test

I have a 2007 2.8 GHz dou core intel iMac. The Super Drive is defective so I have been using a LaCie FireWire external drive.

I have been trying to get to the Apple Hardware Test on start up with my iMac running Mountain Lion by holding down the D key and all I got was a folder looking icon with a question mark on it. So I tried holding down the Option and D keys and nothing happens, it just goes on to a regular start up. Because my Super Drive is defective I can not put my original disk in the drive to start with. When trying to access the AHT I have only my keyboard and mouse attached. Is there another way to get the AHT on my system?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 3 gb ram, 750gb hd

Posted on Oct 13, 2012 9:24 AM

28 replies

Oct 13, 2012 12:25 PM in response to trouble me

You've tried starting in Safe Mode and see if the problem still occurs?

Restart holding the "shift" key.

(Expect it to take longer to start this way because it runs a directory check first.)

If this works look in System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login items and delete any third party login items (-), you can always add them back with the (+). Also look in /Library/Startup Items. Nothing is put in that folder by default, so anything in there is yours.

Oct 13, 2012 4:48 PM in response to trouble me

Mount disc 2, run this command in the Terminal app (copy & paste it into the window that pops up when you launch it, hit the return key, OPTION-click & hold Finder's Dock icon, and select RELAUNCH:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles 1

That unhides all hidden files/folders.

Now, drill down to /"Applications Install Disc"/System/Library/CoreServices/ and drag the .diagnostics folder into your ML boot volume's /System/Library/CoreServices/ folder.

In the Terminal window copy & paste in this command, and hit the return key:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/CoreServisce/.diagnostics

at the Password; prompt, carefully type in your admin password, since nothing shows up on the screen, and hit the return key. If successful, you'll get the normal $ prompt.

Run this command to hide the normally hidden files/folders and RELAUNCH the Finder again.

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles 0

Restart, holding down the CMD+D keys. This should cause the machine to boot into AHT. Let us know how it turns out.

Oct 14, 2012 12:08 PM in response to macjack

Thanks for catching my fat-fingering error. For everyone else, it should be

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/CoreServices/.diagnostics

I still don't get the path to .diagnostics?

I don't understand what you're not getting? /System/Library/CoreServices/ is where Apple hides the directory that allows running AHT w/o using an install disc.

UPDATE:

Try

ls -al /System/Library/CoreServices/

which is what you need to display all invisibles.

Apple Hardware Test

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.