Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac SPDIF configuration advice - help!

Hi,

I have a mid 2010 iMac and am trying to record into Garageband using the SPDIF input and just cannot figure out which part I havent got right.

I am taking a digital signal from a Fractal Audio Axe FX Ultra on an RCA Coaxial jack, into an optical convertor, the toslink then goes to the mini toslink connector on the input jack of the iMac - all good - the optical cable is lit at the end, so I know it's live.

I can see from the hardware config that the Digital Optical Audio Input and Output are present (and I even plugged the cable into the output to check it would light - it did).

BUT

Where oh where do i make any form of selection for the input to be SPDIF - all the iMac lets me select from System Preference is the Internal Microphone or Line in - no SPDIF. If its not selected or configured here, where is it selected?

Are there settings I need to adjust like the clock rate (I know the Fractal is fixed at 48Khz). If yes, where are they located?

Any help would be much appreciated, it doesnt seem to make sense why it doesnt work, but I know that if the Mac has no option for me to select SPDIF input then its not going to be available in Garageband either...

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Oct 13, 2012 9:24 AM

4 replies

Oct 14, 2012 10:45 AM in response to BDAqua

Hi,

Thanks for pointing me in this direction. I've now selected the 48khz, and selected Built-in Input as my source, however the source indicated above the frequency box alternates between line in and "Digital" most of its time spent on line in.

Think I'm still missing something important here - is there a way of forcing the Digital Input to be locked?

Thanks

Oct 15, 2012 10:24 AM in response to Guitarplayer63

Sorted!

Turned out I had a bad connection at the Coax to SPDIF convertor, clicked the connectors into place and the "Built-In Input" locked onto Digital as the input.

I then had a latency issue with Garage Band, but this disappeared when I changed the sampling rate to 16bit instead of 24. Funnily enough it didnt come back when I switched it back to 24 bit...

iMac SPDIF configuration advice - help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.