Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

uninstall Adobe Reader?

My husband downloaded the Adobe Reader 10.1.4 while attempting to retrieve/use a pdf form for beneficiary update info on known site.

I then read that it was for Mac OS x, less than the 10.7.3 operating sytem that we have on our iMac.

I tried deleting by looking at the icon in the app section, no uninstall button there. Then I dragged out of the disc utility and attempted dragging from the launch pad/applications, which didn't work.

I have just spent several hours looking at the adobe.com site/communities/help and have not seen anything which can facilitate the proper

removal of adobe reader from OS 10.7.

Any help is appreciated.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Oct 13, 2012 10:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2012 10:43 AM

This should do it:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6245350_uninstall-reader-mac-os-x.html

Note: in Step 1, they mean locate the Adobe Reader in the Applications folder in a Finder window (not in Launchpad).

16 replies

Oct 13, 2012 11:41 AM in response to softwater

Softwater - tried to trash the plist, though they were different from your post.

com.adobe.acrobat.pdfviewer.plist

com.adobe.acrobat.pdfviewer.plist.lockfile

These showed under Audio

After, the icon no longer showed in launchpad so I thought it did it.

Repaired permissions (nothing), but still cannot restart computer. Get message "Finder can't quit because some operations are still in progress" . At that, the finder icon in the dock was bouncing.

Help, please! 😕

Oct 13, 2012 11:59 AM in response to V.A.P.

I then read that it was for Mac OS x, less than the 10.7.3 operating system that we have on our iMac.

Like many vendors who state it that way, they mean OS X in general. You need to check the specifics of which versions of OS X it will run under. The version of the Reader you have/had, wouldn't even run under older versions of OS X.

That also is a point of confusion for many computer novices, or those who have switched to the Mac and don't quite get the numbering Apple used for OS X. Each point release is actually a major paid release, not just an update. So as an example, 10.3 was not free for users of 10.2. Apply the same all the way up to the current 10.8, Mountain Lion.

Anyway, the Reader will work just fine in your current version of OS X as it is the latest version of the Reader. Also, as people create PDF files with newer versions of Acrobat Pro, Apple's Preview is always behind since they have to figure out how to update Preview to properly display PDF files written in the new format, which also often involved new features. You will find that Preview will not always be able to display all PDFs properly, whereas the latest version of the Reader always can.

Oct 13, 2012 12:26 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Thank you, Kurt, it seems very obvious I am a novice (and we wont go into husband's understanding).

However, now I have apparently uninstalled the Reader, and, upon still seeing the "finder can't quit because some operations are still in progress" when trying to restart and thinking it was the Adobe Flash Player which has been installed since 7/18/12, I tried to uninstall that as well, and planned to reinstall for husbands use.

The icon for it in the launchpad had a uninstall option. After, I looked at Disk Utility and unmounted the Flash Player there. Did permissions (none) and still get the above message when trying to restart.

I looked at the trash and tried to empty, thinking that might be solution, but saw cannot do it with the message

"install_flash_player_osx.dmg is in use".

I just want my computer to go back to working great, without difficulties.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Oct 13, 2012 12:42 PM in response to V.A.P.

"install_flash_player_osx.dmg is in use"

Generally, the OS is telling you that the .dmg (any .dmg, which means Disk iMaGe) is still mounted on the desktop. When you double click a .dmg file, it puts a pseudo drive icon on the desktop. It's not physical drive like an external hard drive or other device, but the OS pretends it is. Usually, a mounted .dmg will have an icon of a plain white external drive on the desktop, like this:

User uploaded file

If you're not seeing any drive icons on your desktop, that would be because they're off by default. From the desktop, choose Finder > Preferences from the menu bar. Under the General tab, turn on the check boxes for at least the first three types of drives. They should all now appear on your desktop.

The name of the "drive" will usually be similar to the name of the .dmg. So until you dismount the pseudo drive, the .dmg is "in use". Like any other drive in the Mac OS, you drag it to the Trash, which will change to an Eject icon. Once the drive has been put away, then you can delete the .dmg file. Highlighting the drive and pressing Command+E will also dismount the drive. The very long way around would be to restart the Mac since a pseudo drive can't remain mounted between startups.

From there, you can decide whether or not to reinstall the Adobe Reader, or use Preview. If you leave the .plist and other small files on the drive softwater mentioned, it makes no difference. They're useless without the parent app which would access them. So the only thing they'd be doing is taking up a very small amount of disk space.

Oct 14, 2012 12:33 PM in response to Kurt Lang

I have tried to find both pseudo and .dmg drives. I have deleted every thing I can find for adobe, still cannot restart the computer (or shut down) and get the message "Finder cant quit because some operations are still in progress" (and the finder icon in dock bounces). I can't find anything open.

I did manage to empty the trash, where before I would get the message "install_flash_player_osx.dmg is in use".

I have searched for two days on Adobe.com and Apple Communities for solution.

I am still looking for help and wonder if there is any here or should a start another question?

Thanks for any help.

Oct 14, 2012 12:49 PM in response to V.A.P.

still cannot restart the computer (or shut down) and get the message "Finder cant quit because some operations are still in progress"

Okay, first press Command+Tab. Don't let go of the Command key. All running apps you have control over will be presented in the middle of the screen. If there are any running besides the Finder, keep pressing tab until an app other than the Finder is highlighted and let go of both keys. Press Command+Q to close the app. Repeat until the only app running is the Finder.

Now try restarting. If you still can't, press Command+Option+Esc. This will bring up the Force Quit Applications box. Highlight the Finder and click the Relaunch button. This will force the Finder to drop any process it thinks it's trying to do and relaunch.

After that, you should be able to, and should restart your Mac.

Oct 14, 2012 1:03 PM in response to V.A.P.

That is extremely bizarre. You may have accidentally entered a keyboard command to open a file window and all of its subfolders. The Finder was stuck and couldn't do that until a restart. But then, once you restart, the command is gone and shouldn't have been acted on anyway.

Are they all just file windows? If so, press Command+Option+W. This will close all open windows instead of doing them one at a time.

What is your Mac doing at this point?

Oct 14, 2012 1:19 PM in response to V.A.P.

Forgot you're using Lion. All of those windows and other things opening after startup are so called "features". If you prefer your Mac act like a desktop computer instead of an iPad, do these two things.

1) Open the System Preferences and click on the General tab. Towards the bottom, uncheck the box for Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps.

2) Choose Shut Down or Restart. Uncheck the box for Reopen windows when logging back in.

Oct 14, 2012 1:27 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Ok, that was already unchecked. Maybe when I did a restart after the W command, that feature again was doing what it was supposed to (not restoring windows when quitting and reopening apps)?

So, not to worry, now?

Or more to look into.

As a side event, at one point I was looking at download window from the box with the green arrow in top left corner of browser window (safari), and somehow managed to remove that icon. It's not the Downloads stack next to the trash in the dock, but rather in the browser bar. Do you know how to get that back? I have been searching communities while waiting for your (incredibly quick!) replies.

Thanks for above!!!

Oct 14, 2012 2:20 PM in response to V.A.P.

Do you know how to get that back?

No, not sure on that one. I'm still mostly working in Snow Leopard where your downloads get their own file window in Safari. In the attempt with Lion and Mountain Lion to make OS X mimic the iOS (iPad, iPhone) with downloads doing a cutesy animation to a corner of the app, Apple made yet another once straight forward and easy to use feature harder to use and less useful.

uninstall Adobe Reader?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.