Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac-to-Mac Internet Printing

I'm trying to do something that should be very, very simple: set up my Powerbook to print to my home printer (a USB HP DeskJet 840C hooked to an iMac. Both computers are running OS X 10.3.9 Panther) while I'm on the road.

This should be exceptionally easy. The iMac has a stable DNS name, so I pull up Printer Setup Utility, choose IP Printing, choose Internet Printing Protocol, type the DNS name into Printer Address, and type the queue name garnered from Show Info on the wired printer. When I try to print, CUPS returns "Destination printer does not exist!" The URI is <foo.com:631/ipp/PRINTER_NAME>. This should work. It doesn't. So, apparently, printers are kept at /printers rather than /ipp. (Why Panther doesn't know this is beyond me. But actually, CUPS doesn't seem to know it either, as the suggested URIs in the web interface use /ipp.) So I change /ipp to /printers, and lo and behold! The Powerbook apparently sees the remote printer. It spools, and....nothing happens. Ever. The print job vanishes into thin air. Well, not quite; the Completed Jobs log on the iMac does indeed list the print job as Completed. But completed to where I have no idea as my printer never so much as coughed.

Now, before you go thinking there's something wrong with my printer, when I log into the iMac remotely using <http://hostname:631> and print a test page, everything works swimmingly.

So..help? Please? If the only answer there is is something overwhelmingly technical; that's fine. I can handle a command line. I just need to get this working!

Thanks.

Grape iMac DV Mac OS X (10.3.9)

Posted on Apr 13, 2006 6:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2006 7:10 AM

First - I'm only guessing here that you have taken care of the routing/port forwarding issues? Port 631 goes to the right computer?

next - URI -
I would use:
http://[IP address]:631/printers/queuename

Notice queue name instead of Printer Name. You find the queue name on the server Mac by highlighting the printer in Printer Setup and doing Show Info.

(Queue name is listed on the CUPS admin "printers" page just above the generic printer icon on the left side)

Hope this helps.
11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2006 7:10 AM in response to Zarquon42

First - I'm only guessing here that you have taken care of the routing/port forwarding issues? Port 631 goes to the right computer?

next - URI -
I would use:
http://[IP address]:631/printers/queuename

Notice queue name instead of Printer Name. You find the queue name on the server Mac by highlighting the printer in Printer Setup and doing Show Info.

(Queue name is listed on the CUPS admin "printers" page just above the generic printer icon on the left side)

Hope this helps.

Apr 13, 2006 7:10 AM in response to Zarquon42

Well, what do you know; I fixed it. After I wrote this, a horrible feeling came over me, as I remembered something I had seen when logged into CUPS on the iMac: The Device URI of the printer. It was "file:///dev/null". "What if," I thought, "THAT was where the print jobs were being spooled to? That would certainly explain why they seemed to vanish into nothingness...they DID." So I created a new printer on the iMac, using GIMP drivers this time, hooked up to THAT one from the PowerBook...and wonder of wonders, it worked.

So...thanks for the help.

*#$% counterintuitive @^&&! un-mac-like !^$@&&* rotten user-hostile UNIX @$^!$ grumble grumble...

Grape iMac DV Mac OS X (10.3.9)

Apr 14, 2006 6:11 AM in response to Zarquon42

I think you misunderstand me....
You do have a router or Airport Base Station or neighborhood wireless access point that is connecting you to the internet, right? That is the piece of the puzzle I am wondering about.

Example:
I have a Mac at school that can act as print server to any computer on campus. From home, I can ping the mac, and I can login via ssh. But I can't connect to the CUPS page, and therefore also not print via port 631, because the campus firewall blocks 631.

Mac-to-Mac Internet Printing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.