Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time capsule

I just purchased a MacBook Pro 13 inch with 10.8.2. I cannot connect to the time capsule that we have set up that worked with my earlier computer and with the other computers in the house. How do I set up a new computer to work with time capsule?

Thanks.

Nancy

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 13, 2012 1:55 PM

6 replies

Oct 13, 2012 3:04 PM in response to Nancy Bley1

Do you have internet on the MBPr??

If not, then using one of the earlier computers reset the TC.. and set the TC name and wireless names to SMB standard.

Short.. no space.. pure alphanumeric.

Fix the wireless channels for 2.4ghz.

Use WPA2 Personal security only. Passkey 8-12 characters again pure alphanumeric.

PS.. buy the usb to ethernet adapter.. a laptop without an ethernet is like chopping one wing off the bird.

There is also a thunderbolt to ethernet adapter which is more expensive but faster albeit more problematic from what I read.

Apple sell both for reasonable prices.

Oct 14, 2012 12:11 PM in response to Nancy Bley1

Factory reset the TC.. and start again with a computer connected by ethernet to the TC.

To factory reset unplug the TC.. hold in the reset and power on again.. this requires 3 arms or a friend to supply the extra arm. You must not release reset until the TC front led flashes rapidly which takes about 10sec.

This will not do anything to your info stored on the TC.

I recommend you setup the TC now with fully compliant SMB names.. for everything.

TC itself, wireless with separate names for 2.4ghz and 5ghz and hard disk name.

Short, no spaces, pure alphanumeric.

Use only WPA2 Personal for security with passkey of 8-12 characters mix of pure alphanumeric characters.

You can also lock the wireless channel.. stick to 1, 6, 11 for 2.4ghz ... try each in turn.

5ghz is less of an issue as it doesn't penetrate as far.

time capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.