Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

are there mac viruses that write files to your hardrive to file it up?

My available hard drive space is getting less and less at a rapid rate even though i am not saving enough new files that are proportionate to the space getting "eaten up". I am not running time machine and i scanned with ClamXav which discovered a few trojans that appear to only affect windows machines but i deleted them anyway.

iMac (24-inch Early 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8), 8Gb Ram 2.93 core2duo

Posted on Oct 14, 2012 8:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2012 8:46 AM

not as far as I know here is a list

http://macscan.securemac.com/spyware-list/

3 replies

Oct 14, 2012 10:53 AM in response to buildesign

There is no Mac malware that behaves that way, unless you have discovered something brand new. Your problem is a fairly common one, but with many possible causes. See Where did my Disk Space go? for information to help you troubleshoot the problem.

Also, note that the MacScan list that Rudegar posted a link to includes a lot of malware that is extinct at this point as well as a lot of things that are not malware, but could be abused by someone with physical access to your machine. For a better list, see the malware catalog in my Mac Malware Guide.

are there mac viruses that write files to your hardrive to file it up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.